• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

soup rescue

Dante

Friend of mine recently asked me how to rescue pea soup that has become oversalted by the ham she put in it. Due to housemate allergy issues, I don't cook with ham much and I don't use salt in my cooking except when chemically necessary, so I'm very out of practice here. :unsure:

Can anyone out there help me here? I'd like to find a way to do this that doesn't dilute the flavour of the soup too much.

Sincerely,

Dante

Friend of mine recently asked me how to rescue pea soup that has become oversalted by the ham she put in it.  Due to housemate allergy issues, I don't cook with ham much and I don't use salt in my cooking except when chemically necessary, so I'm very out of practice here.  :unsure:

Can anyone out there help me here?  I'd like to find a way to do this that doesn't dilute the flavour of the soup too much.

Sincerely,

Dante

I've been told that adding a raw peeled potato to the soup will help. Apparently the potato will absorb the salt.

Good luck.

Motochef.

Motochef! Enjoying fine food while motorcycle touring.

Motoblog! Motochef's Notes, Comments and Points of Interest

Motochef!

I agree with Sony add more peas cook them first but then add them ..I have tried the potato method and it did nothing to soak up the salt sadly

Agreed. Consider the salty batch as a base. Cook up a pot of peas and keep adding the salty soup until it tastes right. Hope your friend loves pea soup and has lots of peas! :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Someone somewhere, maybe even here, debunked the potato myth. It simply doesn't work. I'd say add more water to dilute, bring to a simmer, then remove some of the broth if it's to liquidy and reserve it for a future use. In fact I can't believe this didn't occur to me 10 years ago.