• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Half Moon Restaurant in Kennet Sq

wkl

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but..........

Last night the Travel Channel had a show about the top burgers in the country called Hamburger Paradise. Apparantly, this is a rerun from December '07. Like any show of this type, the choices were highly debatable. White Castle, some non-meat veggie burger place in southern california, etc.

The suprising thing, to me anyway, was that Half Moon Restaurant and Saloon in Kennett Square was featured. Especially for their wild game burgers. You can get elk, bison, kangaroo, etc. Not sure if all these varities are offered all the time or just when they actually have certain game, but has anyone had these burgers? Any opinions?

Apparantly there is quite a selection of Belgian beers also.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but..........

Last night the Travel Channel had a show about the top burgers in the country called Hamburger Paradise. Apparantly, this is a rerun from December '07. Like any show of this type, the choices were highly debatable. White Castle, some non-meat veggie burger place in southern california, etc.

The suprising thing, to me anyway, was that Half Moon Restaurant and Saloon in Kennett Square was featured. Especially for their wild game burgers. You can get elk, bison, kangaroo, etc. Not sure if all these varities are offered all the time or just when they actually have certain game, but has anyone had these burgers? Any opinions?

Apparantly there is quite a selection of Belgian beers also.

The burgers at the Half Moon are excellent. We've had buffalo (which is always on the menu) and elk, bison, kobe beef and probably a few others (that rotate as the wild game burger of the day). They also have buffalo ribs that are very good, buffaloaf (think like meatloaf) which is good also. My favorites there are the crab nachos and desserts from Sweet Somethings bakery in Wilmington (especially the chocolate silk cake). Upstairs is nice and airy but downstairs can get downright smoke-filled.

Edited by Bluehensfan (log)

i'm intrigued enough to make the trek up from wilmington. interesting about the desserts. i know the bakery and have bought quite a few items there, and they are very good.

i'm intrigued enough to make the trek up from wilmington. interesting about the desserts. i know the bakery and have bought quite a few items there, and they are very good.

It's well worth the drive and food's generally a lot better than most places in Wilmington but can get a bit pricey. Make sure you sit upstairs though. It's airy and plant filled up there but downstairs is just too smoky for me. Service is decidedly hit-or-miss. They do have a website Half Moon Saloon.