• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese knife set recommendations?

sygyzy

Hi,

I'd like to buy a cheese knife set. You know, the kind that comes with 3 knives. One for soft, one for hard, and a spreader (?)

I have seen many of them for sale everywhere from Sur La Table to Crate and Barrel. I would prefer mail order but I can do in store (though my town does not have all the stores). I am sort of turned off by the prices ($50+) but if that's the case, so be it. A nice little holder or case for them would be nice too.

I am looking for recommendations. I value bang-for-your-buck over "most expensive knife in the world." Any experience and help would be appreciated.

I don't think you can get a decent set of cheese knives for less than $50.00.

At least the sets I have seen are not worth even that price.

Check the selection at Cutlery and More and buy the individual knives you need.

The Messermeister and the Swissmar are not expensive and do a pretty good job on all cheeses from very soft to medium hard.

For cheeses such as cheddar, big wedges of fairly firm ones, and whole gouda, etc., you are going to need a blade that does not twist or slew, otherwise you can hurt yourself.

The Swissmar two-handled cutter does a decent job safely.

Don't waste your money on the Calphalon set, which looks like a good deal, the blades are chintzy, in my opinion.

I have the Wusthof cheese knives, including the two-handled jobs but they are expensive and unless you are as into cheese as am I, not essential. I am sort of a fanatic, and a collector, (my excuse for my spending).

I did not buy them as a set, got them as individual pieces, one at a time.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed and helpful response. I am looking at the Swissmar knives you recommended since they are a good price point and the quality looks good.

There seems to be not one but a few choices for each type of cheese. Could you recommend 3-4 (hopefully that's sufficient) specific models that would cover the majority of my cheese cutting and serving needs?

Thanks.

I would want to have the following:

soft cheese

This one:

hard cheese knife

This one:

spreading knife

If possible, this one:

two-handled knife

And if you want to add this one later, it is great for the really hard cheeses:

Parm/Romano knife

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett