• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Maximum yums

Florida Jim

2005 Dom. Chignard, Fleurie Les Moriers:

A remarkable experience, drinking this wine now; my impression is that it has the structure, balance and fruit concentration to outlive me, that it is of its place only “more so” then one would expect and that even with all that character and power, it is a beautiful wine with roasted chicken tonight. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $21 on release; I really wish I’d bought more.

1996 Hirtzberger, Riesling Singerriedel:

This is a very potent, angular and concentrated wine that needs strongly flavored food. But more than anything (at least right now) this wine is about length. I have nothing to compare it to – it just goes on and on and the flavors seem to grow in the mouth after swallowing. Not for everyone but this is one of the reasons I love wine; a unique bottle with immense character. 13% alcohol, imported by Vin Davino (then) and about $46 on sale; my last bottle – too bad current versions of this are so damnably expensive.

2005 Château Lascaux, Bordeaux Superieur:

From vines that are 35-40 years old, this is 60% merlot, 20% cabernet franc and 20% cabernet sauvignon aged 18 months in barrel, 1/3 of which are new. It smells like Bordeaux - cabernet based wine that carries some earth, leather and mineral scents; it tastes like Bordeaux – with full bodied fruit, a tannic grip, good density and concentration and a nicely balanced delivery with a somewhat worsted textured; and, it has a medium length, tannic finish. With food, the tannins are less intrusive and the depth of wine is evident.

Much the same on day two, with a little more earthiness, a bit more integration and a somewhat less tannic finish. Could certainly stand some time in the cellar (the website recommends 6-12 years).

13% alcohol, imported by Stacole and about $14; a very good wine among quite a few very nice 2005 Bordeaux bargains. Makes me wonder why I would bother to buy/drink domestic cabernets?

2001 Sella, Lessona:

Mostly nebbiolo, this is from a cooler region than Barolo or Barbaresco; it carries aromatic complexity; elegance on the palate and is reminiscent of roses and asphalt on both. An exquisite wine. 13% alcohol, imported by Selected Wines of Europe and about $26; I bought a lot.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com