• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John DePaula

Sucre Cristal - qu'est-ce que c'est?

5 posts in this topic

I have seen several recipes using << sucre cristal >> or "crystal sugar" e.g. in Pates de fruits. I live in the US and here the crystal is very large grained and contains (or is polished with) carnauba wax.

I was hoping to find out if Sucre Cristal in France is different. In other words, is it just large-grained clear sugar without the wax?

Thanks

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

It's just a bit larger-grained than normal granulated sugar, whereas here there's also "sucre en poudre" which is not our powdered sugar but more like that superfine baker's sugar. To my knowledge there's no exact equivalent in the US, at least at the retail level, but it's not meant to be really crunchy, more just sparkly.

Yes, the sucre cristal has larger grains than American granulated sugar, which means that if you're making pâte de fruit, it wouldn't dissolve so quickly, creating a nicer, more stable coating.

If you're looking for a quantity, depending on where you live, you might wish to contact a sugar refinery (like C&H on the west coast) and see if they sell other grades of sugar specifically for professionals as they usually have much more available than what they sell to the public.

I may be wrong, but 'sanding sugar' is similar in size, but some brands might contain wax for decorating purposes.

Edited by David Lebovitz (log)

Thanks very much, that's very helpful! I thought it might be more akin to sanding sugar since the 'Crystal Sugar' that I found was really large.

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

It's just a bit larger-grained than normal granulated sugar, whereas here there's also "sucre en poudre" which is not our powdered sugar but more like that superfine baker's sugar.  To my knowledge there's no exact equivalent in the US, at least at the retail level, but it's not meant to be really crunchy, more just sparkly.

Interesting, Abra. I was just looking through my copy of Larousse du Chocolat and Herme refers to sucre en poudre which, until your post, I would have incorrectly translated to powdered sugar (even though I know that's sucre glace). Thanks!

John DePaula
--------------------

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Loubika
      Hi everyone,

I'm a little pastry chief in France, still learning and really passionate. It's been five months that I did'nt studiy or practise and I miss that so much. I never stop talking about this. I decided to travel in south america to learn everything I can. I'm actually in Central Colombia, and I will travel to Ecuador, Galapagos, Peru, Bolivia and maybe a little bit more if I want to. I have time until march, more or less.

My project is to go in the farms and meet the people who grow up the raw material I use for make my pastries, Talk to them and see the plantation would be really helpfull for me to understand how does it works. If people need, I'm volunteer for work in exchange with accomodation and food for a few days. My spanish is not good yet, but I'm learning and sometimes it's more funny to not speak the same language. I'm interested about everything, exotic fruits, citrus, coffee, cacao, sesame, pepper, spices...

If some of you is, knows or works with farmers or pastry chiefs in those countries, I would be glad to meet you/them and learn everthing about the work. We can exchange good recipe too.

Thank you very much,
      Loubna

• By mikec
      Everytime I make Coq au Vin or similar chicken dishes the recipe calls for browning the chicken (creating a nice crispy skin) and then removing it only to return it to the dish to finish by braising in liquid. Unfortunately, when cooked in liquid, my chicken ends up losing its crispiness and turning grey and soggy.
      What am I doing wrong, or what can I do to retain then crispy factor?
      Thanks.
      Mike
    • By jmacnaughtan
      So I've been looking at this dish for a while, and while I've seen threads talking about where to eat it, I haven't found anyone who's actually made it.  I thought it might be fun to try.

This is the recipe I've found (in French, my apologies), and there's an informative YouTube video of same.  Again in French, and as a bonus in a heavy southern accent.

I'm going to pick up my hare, sausage-meat, foie gras and bard on Wednesday, and get to de-boning.  I'll see if I can get my better half to take a couple of photos or videos

If anyone has done this before, or anything like it, I'd love to hear any advice you might have.  As for now, I have a couple of questions for more experienced eGulleteers before I start:

1- I can't seem to get hold of the requisite pork back fat, but my butcher can provide veal kidney fat.  Is this a decent alternative?

2- I've been re-watching the video and re-reading the recipe, and neither say when to remove the string used to truss the hare.  Would it be better to do it after taking it out of the cooking liquor?  Once it's rolled and chilled?  Removing each small piece from each slice - but before or after it's reheated?  I have horrific images of doing everything perfectly, then have it fall apart right at the last moment.

So any input would be gratefully received.  In any case, I'll try and document the process as much as possible for future information/hilarity.
    • By tan319
      hello all.
      just wondering if anybody has a favorite way to cook their brulee.
      I just did some in a convection oven, low fan, 225 and they got a bit wierd on top. In oval dishes, BTW.
      Good texture inside. Just a bit wierd on top.
      I welcome any input.
      thanks.
    • By weinoo
      Le Coucou is the new restaurant (opened for reals last week) collaboration between restaurateur Stephen Starr and Chef Daniel Rose of Spring, a fairly acclaimed restaurant located in Paris. That backstory need not be explained here; suffice to say that Significant Eater and I have had the pleasure of dining at both the tiny Spring 1 (once), and the more ambitious Spring 2 (a number of times), and it was always a fun and delicious time.

Plenty of restaurants open in New York City; often they come with lots and lots of hype. Le Coucou is certainly one of them, as the PR bandwagon got rolling a while ago. And normally we like to give restaurants at least a little while to get their footing, but with this one we just couldn't wait, so off we were to Lafayette Street - on night two of service. I didn't even know if we'd get a table, since we were sans ressies, but we figured we could just grab a cocktail, even if we couldn't have dinner. But arriving early, we were offered a table by the charming Maître D' and lovely hostesses and hosts, though we did have a drink first, in their rather intimate lounge area.

Now, I'd introduced myself and Sig Eater to Daniel at Spring years ago, as a friend of a friend. And again, when we were lucky enough to dine at the new Spring. But here, even before I was seated, Daniel (who had zero idea we were coming to have dinner) was by our side, greeting me by name and with hugs and cheek kisses - you know, that lovely French way. And even though he looked like he wanted nothing more than to pass out on the extremely comfortable banquette, he returned to our table any number of time during our meal, to make sure we were enjoying our dinner, to see if there was anything we'd like him to "whip up." Basically the consummate host.

French has been seeing a serious revival in NYC over the past couple of years, and that makes us happy, as we love French cooking.  I mean, one need look no further than Rebelle, or Racines, or MIMI, or Chevalier, or...well, you get the picture. And here, with classic French technique executed fairly flawlessly, we were in heaven. One of our favorite dishes is a simple Poireaux, poached leeks served in a bracing vinaigrette. Here, chef adds a little something extra, topping the leeks with sweet, roasted hazelnuts. What about fried Delaware eel? Normally, my eel exposure is limited to sushi bars, where the earthy eel get a sweetish topping. At Le Coucou, the Anguilles frites au sarassin are as light as a feather, the eel's buckwheat batter playing well with curried vinaigrette and a subtle brunoise of citrus.

Mimolette is a French cheese that as recently as a few years ago had its import halted by the food police, aka the FDA. It's back, and here it graces Asperges au vinaigre de bois. It's a simple lightly-roasted asparagus salad, made special by a smoked wood vinegar sourced somewhere in the wilds of Canada.

Asparagus salad
      One of the dishes chef sent to our table was a knockout - a whole sea bream stuffed with lobster - and my guess is the menu is changing daily, because as I look while writing this, it's not on the online menu now. But here's a picture anyway.

Lobster stuffed sea bream
       A classic of the French culinary canon is Quenelle de brochet. As Julia says in Mastering the Art I, "A quenelle, for those who are not familiar with this delicate triumph of French cooking, is pâte à choux with a purée of raw fish...formed into ovals or cylinders and poached in a seasoned liquid. Served hot in good sauce, quenelles make a distinguished first course. A good quenelle is light as a soufflé..."

Quenelle de brochet, sauce américaine
      Yes it is. And indeed it was. Our main course, which we shared because we wanted to save room for cheeses, was Bourride, a Provencal fish stew that might be known in places like Nice as bouillabaisse. Here, the fabulous fish fumet is stocked with halibut, mussels, clams, and Santa Barbara spot prawns. Served alongside, toasted baguette slathered with aïoli. Suck the head of those prawns, dip the bread, and pretend you're somewhere other than Chinatown - it's easy enough, once inside, because this is a lovely space.

Our 3-cheese selection (all American) was swoon-worthy to Significant Eater, and served alongside was an accompaniment of 3 different beverages, which I don't really know if everyone gets - or if Daniel was just being extra nice to us.

Speaking of nice, the service staff is super. There was a horde of people working on both the floor and in the kitchen. The front of house people were professional, yet casual. There have a been a few notable restaurant openings this year, where service has been a bit "clumsy." Not here, where everyone is on the same page, and that enhances the experience greatly.

What else can I write? Well, I am sad we didn't get to enjoy dessert - we just ate too damn much, but next time! And while we were unexpectedly treated like old friends, with 3 comped dishes from the kitchen and a couple of glasses of champagne when we sat down at our table, I looked around the restaurant any number of times, and everyone sure looked happy. The wine list is extensive - maybe that's part of the reason? There are tablecloths on the tables. There are comfortable chairs. Reservations are taken. All grown-up stuff. But most of all, once you taste this cooking, I think you're going to be happy as well.

Le Coucou