• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OXO Good Grips Kitchen Tools

GlorifiedRice

Im a total Oxo Good Grips *****!

I have almost EVERYTHING they make...

I just bought the plastic mandoline, the citrus peeler, garlic press, fruit pitter and a soap dispenser....

I even have the rare pots and pans.

I am gonna call the company and ask for matching drawer pulls when I redo my kitchen.

Am I just NUTS or does anyone else share my obsession?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I had a problem with one of their products. I was beating a little too hard on my salad spinner -- which is an amazing tool -- one day and broke the mechanism. I called OXO and they sent me a new one no questions asked.

I'm not a pro cook, but I like good tools in the kitchen, and after my great experience with their products and the company, I'd recommend OXO to anyone. I have a lot of their smaller prep tools in their i-series, but have never tried their electronic stuff (like the food scale). I'm not sure I would run out and buy their Santoku, either. But I love their gadgetry.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Anyone have any experience with their box grater?

This has been sitting in my shopping cart at Amazon for about 8 months now. I use my current grater like this to shred cheeses (mostly cheddar and mozarella), carrots and for nutmeg. I like that it has a cup on the bottom to catch/measure things.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

This has been sitting in my shopping cart at Amazon for about 8 months now. I use my current grater like this to shred cheeses (mostly cheddar and mozarella), carrots and for nutmeg. I like that it has a cup on the bottom to catch/measure things.

Yeah, I bought the OXO grater because it was rated well by Cooks Illustrated. A different grater actually won (Cuisipro Accutec Box Grater, because it's apparently sharper) but due to complaints by readers that it fell apart in the dishwasher, they recommend the OXO for people who were in the market for a new grater.

I use my Microplane for nutmeg, and I'm not sure whether or not the OXO would be sharp enough for that. However, I've used the OXO box grater for cheese (cheddar and other similar cheeses) and potatoes. I'm very happy with it, and have got to say that the clear storage container is a great feature (it also has rubber on the bottom, so it doesn't slide around). I would certainly recommend it.

OXO does really make some great products... although their measuring cup is poorly designed, and I would never even consider purchasing it. (I have, in fact, used it... my boyfriend's suitemate had one. Neither my boyfriend or I are fans of the design.) I agree that I would probably stick to their kitchen gadgetry over other kinds of products (like knives... and I haven't even seen their pots and pans.. didn't even know they exist!).

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

OMG, Ive never seen that style before. I have the other unwieldly one.

I use my Salad Shooter for grating large shred and my micro plane for small shred.

Target has cheap OXO items.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

OXO does really make some great products... although their measuring cup is poorly designed, and I would never even consider purchasing it. (I have, in fact, used it... my boyfriend's suitemate had one. Neither my boyfriend or I are fans of the design.)

What don't you like about it? I don't have any myself, but have used them in the kitchen where I teach and like them fine. I have the baby one (2 oz.), which I use for cocktails, and wouldn't be without it. Actually I have 5. I love them.

OXO does really make some great products... although their measuring cup is poorly designed, and I would never even consider purchasing it. (I have, in fact, used it... my boyfriend's suitemate had one. Neither my boyfriend or I are fans of the design.)

What don't you like about it? I don't have any myself, but have used them in the kitchen where I teach and like them fine. I have the baby one (2 oz.), which I use for cocktails, and wouldn't be without it. Actually I have 5. I love them.

I wanna know, too! I have this one and love it. It pours well (doesn't dribble like my glass Corning ones always did), I love the top view measuring lines and like the big separate handle - I can grasp it easily, even on my 'bad hand' days. What issues did you have with the design. Not arguing, just curious :smile: !

Kim

Heh, I love their stuff too. We have the salad spinner, dry measuring cups, measuring spoons, a whisk (I *think* it's oxo since it has a big heavy rubber handle), tongs in three different lengths, and the fat separator (highly recommended!). I didn't even know they made drawer pulls, but I am intrigued.

Edited by plk (log)

I like the OXO kitchen prodcuts, too. I have the salad spinner, the angled measuring cups, the vegetable peeler (which rocks) and the garlic press.

Their best kitchen item? Their large wooden spoon. Because the handle flairs out, you get a much better grip on the spoon and get better torque when stirring. It's da bomb. :cool:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

We bought one recently and like it.

I have a bunch of the Oxo "Good-Grips" products which have made many tasks much easier since I developed arthritis in my hands, mostly the right. Someone told me back in the early '90s that Sam Farber (retired from Farberware) founded Oxo International and designed those original Good-Grips kitchen tools for his wife, who found many kitchen tasks difficult because of arthritis in her hands.

Thank you! Sam Farber, they have made a huge difference in my enjoyment of kitchen tasks.

In some, it is not only the thicker (and softer) handles but also the different way the tools are angled.

I have a vegetable peeler that has the blade set at an angle, instead of in line with the handle or perpendicular to it and it is much easier to use.

The i-series jar opener is also easier to use than most others. The earlier one was a dud.

I also have the smooth-edge can opener which I like, although I have been using a battery-powered One-Touch I received as a gift in '06.

I have the salad spinner, although I don't use it much for salads, per se., I use it to de-hull sprouts.

It was recommended by Sprout People so I hauled my Oxo salad spinner out, tried it with my next batch of sprouts and it worked beautifully.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I wanna know, too! I have this one and love it. It pours well (doesn't dribble like my glass Corning ones always did), I love the top view measuring lines and like the big separate handle - I can grasp it easily, even on my 'bad hand' days. What issues did you have with the design. Not arguing, just curious :smile: !

Kim

A big one for me... it was harder to clean. You've got that crease-y thing, instead of the smooth wall. Also.. well, I guess it's from my science nerd days.. I don't like the top-view measuring lines. One word - meniscus. Not accurate unless you look at it at eye-level! :raz:

Then again, not specific to the OXO measuring cups, it's plastic. I've never been a fan of plastic measuring cups, even if Pyrex ones can drop and break... when you measure something greasy, it always seems so much harder to clean plastic.

For something like comfort, though, I can understand... but then again, that's a large part of why OXO products are so good to begin with!

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

eG Ethics Signatory

Speaking of product suggestions, anyone use the towel wallmount paper towel holder? I'm in the market for a wall-mounted one (because I just don't have the counter space for.. well.. anything), and I like dispensers that are one-handed operation, for times when I have only one clean hand (like meat-juice times).

I like that the page says "Not recommended for use in microwave." Hehehehe.

Man, I looked at the "About OXO" section of their site... makes me want to work for them. :wink:

eG Ethics Signatory

Speaking of product suggestions, anyone use the towel wallmount paper towel holder? I'm in the market for a wall-mounted one (because I just don't have the counter space for.. well.. anything), and I like dispensers that are one-handed operation, for times when I have only one clean hand (like meat-juice times).

I bought one, but havent installed it yet. I need to paint my cabinets first.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

A big one for me... it was harder to clean. You've got that crease-y thing, instead of the smooth wall. Also.. well, I guess it's from my science nerd days.. I don't like the top-view measuring lines. One word - meniscus. Not accurate unless you look at it at eye-level!  :raz:

Then again, not specific to the OXO measuring cups, it's plastic. I've never been a fan of plastic measuring cups, even if Pyrex ones can drop and break... when you measure something greasy, it always seems so much harder to clean plastic.

For something like comfort, though, I can understand... but then again, that's a large part of why OXO products are so good to begin with!

I'm also a fan of OXO, except for this measuring cup! I agree re: it's harder to clean because of the crease and because it's plastic. My other issue with it has always been that often when I measure things in it (like the buttermilk for my beloved pancake recipe), the next recipe step is to whisk the wet ingredients, which is impossible to do well because of the crease.

edited to fix the quote

Edited by finnfann (log)

I'm also a fan of OXO, except for this measuring cup!  I agree re: it's harder to clean because of the crease and because it's plastic.  My other issue with it has always been that often when I measure things in it (like the buttermilk for my beloved pancake recipe), the next recipe step is to whisk the wet ingredients, which is impossible to do well because of the crease.

Its easy to clean. just stick it in the dishwasher

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Not very impressed with OXO stuff. Not being arthritic yet I don't see any advantages, rather the opposite because their peeler is worse than my old metal one, and their salad spinner broke soon after I bought it. So I'll stay away until I have a physical need for their stuff.

I'm having a problem with the silicone spatulas.

I noticed that every time I ran them through the dishwasher, they'd drip water all over when I unloaded them and put them away. A little examination showed that the handle was separate from the shaft. When I pulled the handle off, water gushed out. I started to always remove the handle and load the two pieces separately into the dishwasher. That solved the trapped-water problem. My husband tried sealing the gap with a bead of clear silicone, but that didn't last. I've stuck to dehandling.

I did just snap the shaft of one of my spatulas, in the process of separating the pieces. I like the spatulas, I just find them annoying to use.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Its easy to clean. just stick it in the dishwasher

Dorm rooms and East Village apartments don't have dishwashers, at least not to the best of my knowledge. Believe me, if there was a dishwasher, my boyfriend wouldn't be leaving the dishes in the sink while he procrastinates dealing with them. :hmmm:

I also hate putting things like measuring cups - things that I may or may not need before everything else gets washed - in to sit and wait to be cleaned.

Sorry, not to hate on your measuring cup! I'm sure it works for you!

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

eG Ethics Signatory