• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porcini powder

helenas

i think it was discussed somewhere on egullet, but search function returns nothing.

they say that adding porcini powder enhances the taste of common mushrooms, and that you can easily make your powder at home using the spice grinder.

But what happens with grit? is it ground to dust and not perceptible anymore?

thank you

Well, I've ground porcini to make a rub for meats. I just used nice large pieces that looked clean. If there was any grit I think it got grat.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

They'll turn into sawdust quicker than sliced dried porcini will turn into woodchips.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Dinna wurry aba' tha' grrrrit.

We've pulverized dried shitakes as well as some mushrooms that we didn't use and which dried out naturally. Mostly we've used the powder to coat salmon steaks or filets before we sauteed them. I've found I needed to push them throuh a sieve. The home dried ones were clean.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

If you can get the from Italy imported dried Porcini, those are very clean IMO. I have a 30 plus year Osterizer with 12 speeds, a handful porcini at high speed and pulverization is complete. For keeping, a very airtight glass container and in a dry dark cool place will last for over six months.

And, yes, when sauteeing any mushrooms, the added flavor can not be duplicated otherwise.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

I have some porcini powder thats really gritty.

I don't use it much for that very reason, but if I want to add it to a sauce, I just strain it through a fine chinois at the end.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.