• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shiodome area restaurants

torakris

My husband and I are headed to the Bon Jovi concert at Tokyo Dome on 1/13 and since my in-laws have offered to take the kids over night we decided to make a little mini-weekend away. I have reserved a room at the Park Tower in Shiodome and am now looking for a good place to go to dinner. The problem being that it is a Sunday and we don't know what time the concert will be over so it is going to be impossible to make reservations.

Any favorite restaurants in the area? I am, thinking no more than 7,000yen a person maybe in the 5,000yen range. Any kind of food will do. It will also be a little late around 9pm.

I decided not to go with the breakfast at the hotel so am also looking for recommendations for breakfast nearby, preferably good coffee.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

En in Shiodome City Center and Seasoner in Caretta are a couple of my favorites in the neighborhood.  Also, Tateru Yoshino in your hotel has an attached wine bar with lower prices than the restaurant.

Thanks!

These look to be just the kind of places I was looking for.

Here are the homepages/menus in case anyone else wants to check them out:

Seasoner

En

My husband and I are headed to the Bon Jovi concert at Tokyo Dome on 1/13 and since my in-laws have offered to take the kids over night we decided to make a little mini-weekend away. I have reserved a room at  the Park Tower in Shiodome and am now looking for a good place to go to dinner. The problem being that it is a Sunday and we don't know what time the concert will be over so it is going to be impossible to make reservations.

Any favorite restaurants in the area? I am, thinking no more than 7,000yen a person maybe in the 5,000yen range. Any kind of food will do. It will also be a little late around 9pm.

I decided not to go with the breakfast at the hotel so am also looking for recommendations for breakfast nearby, preferably good coffee.

Hi Kris!

My partner works in Shiodome so I've spent a lot of time there and am quite familiar with the restaurants.

I can second the recommendation for WASHOKU EN. The food is great and there is a very big selection. It's also quite a big restaurant with a high turnover so I don't think you'll have any problems getting a table when you arrive. The interior is very nice too. It's on the top floor so there is a nice view, although unfortunately, the CARETTA building is right in the way so that's a bit of an obstruction.

If you like Thai food, on the B2 level of CARETTA is a great place called SILOM SOI 9. It's pretty cheap so you can eat and drink well for 5000 yen. It's quite small though so you might have to wait a bit for a table.

A bit further down the road in Ginza is a great Singaporean restaurant called MY HUMBLE HOUSE. Again, it has a beautiful interior, great food and the food is fairly reasonably priced. Definitely worth the extra walk from your hotel.

For breakfast, I don't think there is that much choice but in SHIODOME CITY CENTRE there is a VIE DE FRANCE which opens at 7 am. It faces the courtyard and is fairly quiet so it's a nice place to have breakfast.

I don't know anything about the Bon Jovi concert but I think you're being extremely optimistic in thinking you'll get back to Shiodome by 9 pm. The problem is that most restaurants have their last order at about 10 or 10.30 pm so you might miss out entirely on dinner. If you want to make a big weekend out of it, why don't you first have lunch there, then check-in to the hotel and then go to the concert? Not only will it be less rushed but it will be a lot cheaper. Most of the restaurants have cheap lunches. If you like seafood, FISH BANK in City Centre is gorgeous... We had a chef's course set lunch for 5000 yen per person and it was beautiful. OREGON BAR AND GRILL just across the way also have a cheap lunch deal... There is an all-you can-eat salad and entree bar and then you order a main course. It's pretty simple: fish of the day, steak, a burger or a combination. It's cheap although the price varies depending on the main you order.

Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend!

I was going to mention the early Shiodome closing times too, especially on a Sunday. It might be a good idea to double-check Sunday closing times, and have a backup plan.

(And that's good to hear about Silom Soi 9 - it looked pretty good but I haven't eaten there yet.)

I'll second the wishes - have a great long weekend!

Azarashi sushi,

Welcome to eGullet!

And as if I wasn't having a hard enough time deciding between just choices you had to go and toss a couple more in!

I like the idea of doing a lunch on Sunday instead, I will have to check and see what time my in-laws are picking up the kids. The concert starts at 5:00 and since it is just about a 20 minute train ride I can't imagine we would be back later than 9. Since it is a Sunday though I am worried about getting to a place only to find it closed.

Kris,

Thanks for the welcome!

I didn't think the Bon Jovi concert would start so early... So, you probably will make it back to Shiodome in time for dinner.

I often think if you have the choice between lunch and dinner, that lunch is the way to go in Tokyo restaurants... So much more of a better deal. It leaves you with that little bit of extra cash for a nice bottle of wine to go with the meal!

Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend. Please let us know where you end up going to eat and what you think of it.

In researching the area and the restaurants that were recommended, I discovered some things I will share. The Shiodome area seems to be pretty quiet on the weekends and is using special prices to entice people to the area. The Caretta homepage offers these specials (sorry Japanese only):

Weekend and Holiday special prices

Including one for The Seasoner:

ロッシーニコース ¥3,900 

日曜日限定 要予約

平日¥6000のところ、日曜日に限り¥3900でお召し上がりいただけます。前菜、サラダ、パスタ、メインに牛ヒレ肉とフォアグラのソテー、デザートがついています。落ち着いた空間の中で、リーズナブルに贅沢をお楽しみください。

On Sundays only their 6000 yen dinner course is only 3900 yen (must make reservations). This includes:

Appetizer

Pate of Iberico pork

イベリコ豚のパテ

Salad

organically grown vegetable salad

七品目の有機野菜のサラダ バーニャカウダソース

Pasta & Risotto

Spaghetti with sea urchin & cream sauce

生雲丹のクリームスパゲッティ

Fish

catch of the day meuniere with chef's recommendation sauce

産地直送 鮮魚のムニエル

Meat

Sauteed Beef Fillet from SAGA & Foie-gras , Rossini style

佐賀牛とフォアグラのロッシーニスタイル

Dessert

Assorted Today's Dessert

デザートの盛り合わせ

Coffee or Tea

珈琲又は紅茶

Not a bad deal for 3900 yen!

Also the Oregon Bar & Grill's weekend lunch buffet does not take reservations. If you make a reservation you can only order one of their course meals NOT the buffet.

Also the Oregon Bar & Grill's weekend lunch buffet does not take reservations. If you make a reservation you can only order one of their course meals NOT the buffet.

That seems to be a common practice amongst better restaurants that offer buffet lunches and a la carte menus. In my experience though, 95% of customers come for the buffet... So, as far as making reservations go, everyone is in the same boat.

One of our favourite restaurants, THE MANGO TREE in the Marunouchi Building, has that policy for their buffet lunches too, which incidentally is a MUST if you haven't been there.

In researching the area and the restaurants that were recommended, I discovered some things I will share. The Shiodome area seems to be pretty quiet on the weekends and is using special prices to entice people to the area. The Caretta homepage offers these specials (sorry Japanese only):

Weekend and Holiday special prices

Including one for The Seasoner:

ロッシーニコース ¥3,900

Hmmm... Don't know why, but I'm a bit suspicious of that one. I strikes me as being a great deal if you're out shopping and want to pop in and eat something, but not as a special occasion restaurant.

SO RA SI O was also mentioned on the Sunday specials page... We've been there a couple of times. They also have a happy hour from 5 pm to 7 pm on weekdays and from 4 pm to 7 pm on weekends. It's an OK place, nice if you get a window table... The interior isn't especially nice though. I've only been there twice but both times found it a tad "difficult" (ie not very welcoming staff). They offer these cheap deals but it seems somewhat begrudgingly, in my opinion.