• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Winning streak

Florida Jim

At a tasting:

1991 Chat. Leoville Las Cases:

Evidently, the folks at this house can’t read vintage charts . . . it’s the rare moment when I get to try a top St. Julien at its peak (or at least, one of them) – this was it. Started out as a very compact laser of fruit and herb tones but over about two hours, it unfurled the ‘peacock’s tail’ I have so often heard of but never experienced. By the last sip, it was as complex and spherical as any Bordeaux I have ever tasted and showed no signs of fade. An absolutely sensational bottle of wine and one that I will remember a very long time. Bravo!

Also, at a tasting:

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Semper Excelsior, and the 2005 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Dom. Pierre de La Grange. Two completely different renditions of the grape and both exceed all expectations.

The Excelsior reminds me of a fine white Burgundy; fuller and richer than most Muscadet with depth and cut and length. The La Grange is all about stones and flint but its fruit almost sparkles it’s so fresh. These are but two of the bottlings from this house and they tend to confirm my feeling that this is my favorite producer in Muscadet and one of the finest producers of white wine in the world. Always character driven and of exceptional quality, regardless of the cuvee or vineyard.

One afternoon:

2006 Edmunds St. John, Gamay Rosé Bone-Jolly:

Flavor-filled, crisp, juicy and longer than one expects of rosé, a lovely refreshment and a delicious drink. Just superb!

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com