• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Lots o vino

Florida Jim

Pasta with zucchini and parmesan:

2005 Laurent Tribut, Chablis Côte de Léchet:

A very pretty, lightly floral, feminine yet somewhat closed premier cru Chablis that is less steely and austere then many 2005 cru wines these days. 13% alcohol, imported by Vineyard Brands and about $25 on release; I bought plenty.

Good with the meal.

Stir-fried veggies, rice noodles and marinated tofu:

2004 A. & M. Tissot, Traminer:

Reticent nose of lychee and spice; somewhat tight on the palate but it relaxed over a two hour period to show flavors that followed the nose, cream soda, ginger, citrus and stones, no RS, good cut and balance and medium length. Tongue-tingling, crisp juice with a cleansing action in the mouth and it gives the impression that it needs a few years in the cellar. 13% alcohol, Imported by Potomac Selections and about $21; nicely done.

Very good with the meal.

Roasted butternut squash, onions, olives and feta with pasta:

2002 Barthod, Bourgogne Les Bon Bâtons:

Still showing very young but with a fleshy delivery and plenty of ripe pinot aromas and flavors. I’m guessing this will take several years to make any kind of development. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Rosenthal and about $22 on release; a great price.

Good with the meal.

Fresh pompano baked with panko bread crumbs:

2004 Tissot, Chardonnay:

Served too cold, this is twice the wine as it warms to room temp. The more I drink of this the more I think it will cellar well. But even now it delivers sumptuous textures, solid flavors, no sign of wood and excellent complexity. My favorite white right now. 13% alcohol, imported by Potomac Selections and about $23; I bought a lot.

A spectacular pairing.

Leftover pasta with butternut squash, etc.:

2004 Puffeney, Arbois Trousseau Cuvée Les Bérangères:

At first, quite closed, tannic and angular; after some time in the decanter, a vinous nose of cherry cough drop, peach pit and sage; similar in the mouth with a mineral streak and noticeable grip, nicely delineated and balanced; medium length. A lot of pinot noirs wish they had this kind of vitality and focus but occasional sips can be pretty tannic. 13.5% alcohol, imported by Rosenthal and about $28; worth it.

Excellent with the dish.

Pizza and salad:

2005 Montevertine, Pian del Ciampolo:

Mostly sangiovese with some canaiolo and colorino; smells of chocolate, cherries and plums; tastes similar with a soft, low acid but not flabby delivery; its fleshy, concentrated and round; medium length. Not what I expect of sangio., which is usually lighter and has some crisp in it but still a pleasant wine - for drinking now, I think. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Rosenthal and about $23; fairly priced but probably not a repeat buy for me.

Very good with the meal.

At an in-store wine tasting, I opened a bottle of this for friends:

2005 Baudry, Chinon La Croix Boissée:

No one has to tell me that I opened this way before its prime but I bought a few and wanted an early read; penetrating nose of smoke, herb, dark fruit, mineral, earth and very light red fruit tones; sensational texture – like drinking well washed old denim, very complex flavors that follow the nose, well structured but hidden behind fabulous intensity and concentration and yet, everything of whole cloth, seamless and perfectly balanced; infinite finish. Extremely fine, about as good as the AOC can do and one of the very best cabernet franc wines I’ve tasted. HOLD! 14% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $30, ridiculously under priced.

(We tasted a lot of different wines at this tasting; premier cru Burgundy, good Bordeaux, some interesting Spanish stuff but this just blew people away. Imagine, Chinon stealing the show. Just a stellar wine!)

Turkey meatloaf and mashed potatoes with mushroom gravey:

2005 Chat. Tour de Gilet, Bordeaux Superior:

Solid fruit with a touch of herb on the nose; medium weight, integrated; fruit and earth balance in the mouth with no rough edges and good structure. Pretty good stuff and a step up from most low-end Bordeaux. 13% alcohol, imported by Stacole Co. and about $15; I’ll buy more.

Terrific with the meal.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com