• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'altro Mastai, Rome

Pranian man

Can't find much about this restaurant except having seen its 1 star in Michelin.

Not always sure about Michelin in Italy but their ratings do seem reliable. Having looked through many of the others recommended on egullet it looks like many of them seem to have quite a few "off nights" and as I am there for one night only, I want to make sure it's a good one.

Would be delighthed to have any other consistent mod/high level recommendations as well (La Pergola is too high unfortunately.....and the chef is German anyway I beieve)

many thanks to anyone that can help

Can't find much about this restaurant except having seen its 1 star in Michelin.

Not always sure about Michelin in Italy but their ratings do seem reliable. Having looked through many of the others recommended on egullet it looks like many of them seem to have quite a few "off nights" and as I am there for one night only, I want to make sure it's a good one.

Would be delighthed to have any other consistent mod/high level recommendations as well (La Pergola is too high unfortunately.....and the chef is German anyway I beieve)

many thanks to anyone that can help

Don't knock Heinz Beck, the Bavarian chef of La Pergola, because he's German, but you didn't ask about La Pergola...

L'Altro Mastai is a superb restaurant, one of the top restaurants in Rome and one of the small handful of high-end places appreciated as much for the food as for the ambience. I've only been there once, but everything was perfect in a very modern, understated way. Michelin would probably give it two stars anywhere but Rome.

So if you want a reliably excellent restaurant in central Rome, have no fear -- to the extent that there are any certainties. But what was your question? Reliably excellent or reliably excellent and typical?

The top places are not typical. I haven't been in quite a few years, but I think Piperno might be a good idea for you -- classic, typical, the Jewish repertoire of fritti (highly typical and wonderful), excellent service. Checchino dal 1887 is the other classic, offering the rest of the typical Roman menu (typical is not the right word; traditional is better), essentially home cooking, very unfancy, but superb wines and service and gracious hosts whose family has been serving food on the premises since before 1887.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

Many thanks for your reply Maureen

Sorry, I cenrtainly didn't want to knock Heinz Beck, it was simply a question of "when in Rome"...

I am very intereested in the Piperno suggestion and may well opt for there but could you just tell whether you would describe L'Altro as Roman (or even regional Italian based, or is it more sort of "internationalised" high end cuisine as at Enotecca Pinchiorri in Florence?

Many thanks for your reply Maureen

Sorry, I cenrtainly didn't want to knock Heinz Beck, it was simply a question of "when in Rome"...

I am very intereested in the Piperno suggestion and may well opt for there but could you just tell whether you would describe L'Altro as Roman (or even regional Italian based, or is it more sort of "internationalised" high end cuisine as at Enotecca Pinchiorri in Florence?

L'Altro Mastai is not Roman. It's definitely Italian, but creative, nothing regional. I haven't been to Pinchiorri in nearly 20 years so don't know what they're doing. There is nothing at the top you could call really Roman. I think Piperno is probably the best of the upscale classics along with Checchino. Roman food just isn't the sort of stuff you look for in a high-end restaurant. Al Ceppo could be an idea too for something upscale, unboring, and not off the wall creative.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com