• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dell'Anima

Nathan

this place opened up a month or so ago a bit under the radar. it's apparently by a former Babbo sommelier. one medium sized room with a long bar at one side, an open kitchen on the other side (with counter seating around it) and tables in the middle. small wine list. well-balanced Italian cocktails (a nice Negroni with burnt orange etc.)...bartenders free-pour but the drinks seem to be decently constructed.

based upon my small sampling of the menu, it's better than say Morandi or Centro...pastas were very good...and a bit cheaper. also has an assortment of Ino style bruschetta. so a great place for a snack as well.

it's not food that I would travel for but it's the kind of place that everyone should have in their neighborhood....but often doesn't. I'm going to eat here a lot.

went back again on Friday night...place was packed to the gills at 11:30 (mostly diners).

everything we tried was good.

more kudos to the cocktail program (drinks by DeGroff)...the actual cocktails (all variations on mainstays) are well chosen and balanced. no jiggers though.

• 3 months later...

The kitchen is really into full-swing now. Last night began with a sampling of three bruschette....lily confit, diced octopus, and something I'm blanking on. all just fine.

then pizzocheri with brussel sprouts and potato. excellent pasta course. nice stock-type broth/sauce.

then arctic char with bacon, perfectly cooked.

concluded with both the lettuce heart salad (with roasted olives and gorgonzola) and a lovely panna cotta. place was completely packed at 10ish on Sunday night.

• 4 months later...

Really tasty dinner here, at the bar. How is it that only Nathan and I have been? Place was pretty packed all night.

Started with bruschette - lily confit (onion, shallots, garlic, deliciousness), ricotta and sea salt, and chickpeas and lemon. moved on to charred octopus salad with beans, chorizo, chicory. perfectly tender, smoky octopus, and the beans etc had a bit of a kick to them. fantastic dish.

Orecchiette with sausage, fontina (?), speck, mustard greens and breadcrumbs. Nicely done, but the mustard greens were a bit intense for my taste. Tasted the tagliatelle bolognese. Satisfying.

The cocktail menu is pretty varied and doesn't have much on the sweet side, which is always nice to see. Amazing amari selection, and many of the cocktails have amaro as a component. I asked for something on the light and bitter and Clinton, our bartender, put together first an Americano with muddled orange and then Aperol with a white sparkling lambrusco. Perfect for the heat.

Service was really spot on. I was fooled by his youth and sweet appearance, shame on me. Clinton was totally on it, with intelligent descriptions of the dishes and strong recommendations, and he knew his spirits. I mentioned early on in the night that I'd need to try the Borschi amaro after my meal, and hours later, after he cleared our plates, I looked up and a taste was silently waiting for me. I'd forgotten all about it, but he hadn't. Touches like that improve the whole night for me.

Only negative: the place is noticeably warm, even with AC, because of the open kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...

there's an interesting combination of quail and panzanella on the app menu. the quail is fine (could use a bit more flavor) but the panzanella part with chunks of watermelon is absolutely terrific.

btw, you can go off-menu with Clinton...he does some interesting stuff.

I have to say this place rocks. The octopus appetizer is top - notch.... perfectly cooked

and then nicely charred on the grill, accompanied by a lovely salad. The whole dish is perfectly

balanced--great acidity, seasoning, and textures. Great neighborhood restaurant.