• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arabelle ,Plaza Athenee

PaulaJK

Recently recommended by friends and via John Mariani's newsletter,we approached dinner at Arabelle, the Plaza Athenee's restaurant, with enthusiasm. The room is attractive post its redecoration. The tables are nicely spaced and nicely appointed. The service staff, some retainers, are efficient and solicitous but not stuffy. The only down note was that someone from catering was standing with a young couple in the middle of the diningroom describing what color linens,etc. that they could opt for. Unthinkable during dinner service!

The menu is somewhat limited and appears to favor American fare. I ordered the tuna trio which had a tasteless tuna tatare topped w. a pasty avocado mash, one piece of sashimi w. yuzu dressing and lightly seared tuna. My friend had the foie gras which he described as good. Both of these carried supplemental charges on the $74 prix fixe. Entrees were the sliced duck breast and sirloin steak. In both cases the portion were good but the overall dishes and specifically the sauces were bland and uninteresting.

Desserts included a molten chocolate cake which was good,if common and the pear tatin which was with soggy crust and cloyingly sweet.

I consider this a disappointing meal and see no promise in this cusine.

Edited by PaulaJK (log)