• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mayuree Cafe, Devon PA

phungi

Went to Mayuree Cafe in Devon this weekend... was surprised to find no eGullet mention, so here goes:

They recently relocated to a strip of stores by Devon Lanes, in the locale previously held by a breakfast/lunch diner (if I recall correctly). The owner and his wife run the place, and the owner appeared to be the sole waiter. There was a bit of a wait, and it was somewhat slow, but I read this going in, brought ample spirits, and there were no extended waits that made things feel slow.

We ordered 3 apps: shrimp toast (excellent), spring rolls (with banana since they were out of mango - more of a dessert than an appy) and satay (tasty but nothing more or less than you would expect.)

The 4 plates we ordered were panang chicken (excellent red curry sauce), pad thai (I don't usually like pad thai, but this was absolutely delicious), a shrimp fried rice (best fried rice I ever had), and some other dish that I cannot recall, but was somewhat redundant with another dish we ordered.

Everything was delicious, and the bill was about $80 plus.

Other than the somewhat awkward nature of the owner/host/waiter, it was great, and I will definitely be going back. Curious if anyone has been, and what their impression is... other boards say nice things and also talk about the quirky owner.

I belch, therefore, I ate...

• 1 year later...

I can see that this locale/thread has not been popular among the Gulleteers, but has anyone been to Mayuree Cafe recently? I was there as recently as this past the spring, and the owner mentioned his lease was up soon. I called tonight to make a weekend reservation and got no answer or answering machine. Does anyone know if they are closed?

I belch, therefore, I ate...