• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online Fruitcakes

prasantrin

I love fruitcakes and my theory is most of the people who don't have only had those dry ones with neon fruit. Last year I summarized, "The Frog Hollow cake is great - sort of like a black cake, meaning boozy soaked cake with just a bit of fruit. In the more traditional camp I still prefer the Robert Lambert cake from last year which is not fruit packed either. I guess that means I just don't like fruit packed fruit cakes." I also tried and liked Collin Street and Bien Fait. Other suggestions from friends that I haven't had yet: Assumption Abbey and Claxton. So for 2020, here's my question: Small, truly artisanal fruitcakes that ship? Suggestions? Here's some I'm eyeballing for this year: Date Lady, Ackroyd's, June Taylor and Red Truck. Surely eGers know of some small town bakeries that are off-radar.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have finally only this year, at 51, had good fruitcake.  This one was Haitian.

God.Gawd.a'MIGHTY.  

I'm on a mission, I mean I'm joining the @gfron1 train. 

And I'm gonna candy all kinds of random fruits this year, and see what I can come up with on the homefront next autumn.  2022 Project!!

• Like 3

On 12/31/2021 at 10:12 AM, SLB said:

And I'm gonna candy all kinds of random fruits this year, and see what I can come up with on the homefront next autumn.  2022 Project!!

I always do a lot of extra fruit (candied and boozed) because they store forever, and then you can find other uses. Just last night (NYE) we used my 2 year bourbon aged dried fruit (prune, apricot and mango) in a sorta riff on a bastilla (Moroccan sweet meat pastry) using our goose scraps. We encased it in a mooncake skin. It was not nearly as dry as it looks :)

PXL_20220101_050852144.MP.jpg

• Like 4