• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Depression and Food Service Workers

gfron1

I just returned from a federal conference for drug treatment programs (my paying job), and learned something new:

Most Adults Battling Depression Have Full-Time Jobs

Rates of depression among full-time workers are highest in personal care and service jobs and food preparation and serving occupations, according to a new report by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

The report on workers ages 18-64, Depression among Adults Employed Full-Time, by Occupational Category, said that 10.8 percent of personal care and service workers and 10.3 percent of food preparation and serving workers experienced one or more major depressive episodes in the past year. In the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, the source for this report, a major depressive episode is defined as a period of two weeks or longer during which there is depressed mood or loss of interest or pleasure and at least four other symptoms that reflect a change in functioning, such as problems with sleep, eating, energy, concentration and self-image.

The press release IS HERE.

I understand depression in my field (dealing with others' suffering on a daily basis), but I don't understand food service. Those of you in the biz...what's the story?

Is it that waiters are depressed by the job, or the job attracts depressive types?

I'd bet it's more BOH types -- the legions slinging hash in diners and chain restaurants -- than waiter types (I peg them for substance abuse problems :wink: ). Just seems a tougher way to make a living and more conducive to sullen pondering than waiting tables.

In either case, the high turnover and relatively tolerant nature of restaurant work would make it easier for someone with problems that kept them from flourishing in another job to get work. Not saying that the industry is full of depressed, drug-addled loners, but if you are one, it's probably easier to bounce from restaurant gig to restaurant gig than to bounce from paralegal position to paralegal position, so sample starts to skew.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Among the 21 major occupational categories, the highest rates of past year major depressive episode among full time employed workers aged 18 to 64 were found in the personal care and service occupations (10.8%) and the food preparation and service related occupations (10.3%).

The occupational categories with the lowest rates of major depressive episode were engineering, architecture and surveying (4.3%); life, physical, and social science (4.4%), and installation, maintenance, and repair (4.4%).

Skilled, better educated people, fall into the latter group ...

perhaps because in the food service field, there is much job changing among unskilled, less well educated people?

just thinking aloud here ... a bit more elucidation on the topic can be read about:

WebMD

and maybe the income situation is also involved .. people in this field, food service, don't get paid a lot for the hours of sheer hard work involved ....and how much opportunity for individual job growth is there in food service??

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I also wondered if there was a distinction between those who choose to go into the field versus end up in the field. Do those who end up in the field feel trapped and out of control versus those who have made the choice and know that they can go elsewhere.

In pastries it could also just be a sugar crash :wink:

Years ago when I was in the military I noticed a really high burden of psychiatric illness, particularly depression, among cooks.

They had to work ridiculously long hours, starting way too early in the morning. Because they were also responsible for serving the food in the mess hall, they were also first in line for any criticism about the food. Not everyone was particularly tactful when expressing their opinion about the food.

Back then (this was in the 70's) you were offered the trade of cook if you flunked all the tests that would allow you to get into the 'better' trades. So I suspect that a fair number of the folks in the trade at that time may have lacked some of the coping skills that would have helped them to deal with the stresses inherent in their job.

And if you've ever had to cut a 100kg of carrots or potatoes into those little torpedo shapes (tournee) ... need I say more. :sad:

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

So let's see now ... hard, repetitive work .. low pay ... not much chance of advancement ... lack of formal education and/or skills ...

Yeah, easier to see why depression results but the question still persists: is that why these people wound up in food service in the first place?

Chicken or egg came first? Does that really matter?

and now for some insight on this topic:

CBS News: Early Show

"Right off the top, in those professions you are not seeing a lot of money, nor are you seeing people moving in a positive direction as far as advancement to higher positions. With the top 2 (personal care, food service) we're seeing more unskilled workers -- especially those who tend to the elderly," he said. "And then something people don't mention -- but to some extent -- those are recent immigrants who take a lot of these jobs. It's not a lot of money, but they're happy to get these jobs because a lot of people don't want to take those jobs.

And while people who work in food services don't face some of the heartbreak that personal care workers and social workers face, they face stressful work places and customers who can be rude and unpleasant.

"I think it's the waiting on other people," said Gardere. "While it is an honorable profession -- it's waiting on other people. Not everyone is kind to our food service preparers. When I go out to eat I see a lot of people who are rude or ambivalent or just view waiters as hired help."

Bingo .. pretty much echoes our discussion here ... res ipsa loquitur .. the facts speak for themselves ...

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

And if you've ever had to cut a 100kg of carrots or potatoes into those little torpedo shapes (tournee) ...  need I say more. :sad:

ARGH...*starts pulling out hair, screaming incoherently and running*

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

But when you speak of low pay, minimal advancement, and repetive work maintanance, installation and repair are among the lowest incidents of depression, without the advantage of a higher education. So does the education theory hold water?

"I drink to make other people interesting".

So does the education theory hold water?

Only when looking for causes ... this became one consideration ... perhaps, when coupled with frustrations of food service, it became more salient than it should have ... still, the jury is out on this one ...

I have worked in so many fields it would take a book to list them all. They include cleaning schools, server in a pizza joint, RPN, Medical Technologist, Fighter Control Operator (RCAF), insurance agent and Software Development Project Leader. I have a B.A. and multiple other certifications. I can tell you from my personal experience that what led to my episodes of depression were jobs in which I had no control over any aspect of my job and received zero respect for whatever skills I had! Pay is not usually the problem. Respect and some level of input into the job count a helluva lot more. That's my take.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

But when you speak of low pay, minimal advancement, and repetive work maintanance, installation and repair are among the lowest incidents of depression, without the advantage of a higher education.  So does the education theory hold water?

I had a couple of guys over the other day to do estimates on a new boiler and I thought to myself what a great job installation and repair must be. There's a change of scenery every day or two; new challenges all the time; the satisfaction of problem-solving; the dude-ly respect of all those other males who can't do the mechanical work themselves; rather than being stuck in a kitchen 12 hours a day; you're out and about and even if your boss is a jerk he's generally not close enough to you to throw a pan at your head. I mean, if you had no particular ambition beyond a regular paycheck, which job would you chose?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I think choice plays a HUGE role. I was a social worker, I am now in the computer field and considering going into the food industry...by choice. Now if I was ever stuck in the social work field forever, yep, I would be very depressed. Now I know we are talking the food industry, but I doubt the dynamic is different. If you don't love it, its hard to go thru the "daily grind".....

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

But when you speak of low pay, minimal advancement, and repetive work maintanance, installation and repair are among the lowest incidents of depression, without the advantage of a higher education.  So does the education theory hold water?

Plumbers and electricians (for example) usually have some post-secondary technical training, and many of them certainly make more money than I do (I'm a teacher). FOH may have post-secondary education, but it is not likely that education that will help them in their jobs.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

I think it has something to do with putting up with people. Today for instance we had a slower day - but the special order function key (special request food) was 70% of the food. When server has to key all that crap in, the chef/cook in the back has to re read the order 10 times, ask the server what the heck it is that the person is wanting - it is a stress like no other. I used to be in the executive world or coat and tie. When I changed careers and went to culinary school the stress of first paying lots of money to cook - but then get graded was tremendous. In the restaraunt world you screw up and people don't come back - so trying to make people happy is very hard to do - as one chef told me at his place - his menu was only a guide - people could take ingredients from 10 different places and do what they wanted - he was on lots of meds - had a liquor stash - but he was making some money!

Anyone who's known or dealt with a clinically depressed person knows that it's not just a matter of being "stressed out." Plenty of people can deal with stress without a depressive episode, and some clinically depressed people don't seem (from the outside) to be under much stress at all.

Studies show any numbers of factors that increase the likelihood of a depressive episode -- among them, heredity. But most researchers agree that environment is not generally an indicator or predictor of clinical depression. So if it's true that food service workers are more likely to suffer depressive episodes, it seems that it's not merely being in the kitchen or the restaurant that's the cause. If you read the article that Rob linked to, you also see that:

Young adult workers ages 18 to 25 had the highest rates of depression among all adult age groups.

Given the fact that lots of young people work in the food service industry, this might be a bigger clue as to the increased incidence of depression than any environmental reasons.

Plumbers and electricians (for example) usually have some post-secondary technical training, and many of them certainly make more money than I do (I'm a teacher). FOH may have post-secondary education, but it is not likely that education that will help them in their jobs.

I would disagree. Being a bartender is not just pouring two liquids together. Talking to customers is as, if not more important, than knowing what's in a mind-eraser. Being witty, discussing current events, classic literature, and having a scary amount of general knowledge it your fingertips necessary. You wouldn't believe how many times a night some buzzed patron asks "who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird? I should know this” And if you can’t say "Truman Capote's best girlfriend" then your tip won't be as big as it should.

I think that another BIG reason for depression in the FOH (At least in the Big Cities) is that most people came to the city to act/play music/make their fortune becoming famous… And they get the waiting job “just for a little bit”…After 10 years of bouncing from one job to the next, hundreds of nights out cheersing the sunrise with a rum and a rail…After the 7th failed relationship because of the late nights, rum and rails, that dizzy night on a case of Budweiser with the hot sous chef… Can make one bitter and jaded to say the least, depression next stop.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE