• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unsticking Clumped Pasta

Shel_B

Hi,

Any suggestions for unsticking unsauced clumped together cooked pasta that's been stored for a while in the fridge? Any suggestions for preventing cooked pasta from clumping if it's not used right away? I tried adding oil to the warm pasta, but after it cooled down the macaroni still clumped together. Maybe I didn't use enough oil?

Shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Hi,

Any suggestions for unsticking unsauced clumped together cooked pasta that's been stored for a while in the fridge? Any suggestions for preventing cooked pasta from clumping if it's not used right away? I tried adding oil to the warm pasta, but after it cooled down the macaroni still clumped together. Maybe I didn't use enough oil?

Shel

hot water works well.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I mix a little water into the slightly warm or cooled leftover pasta, separate the pieces, let the excess water drain off, then store in the refrigerator.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Hi,

Shel

hot water works well.

ditto

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"

Hi,

Shel

As for preventing the clumping, I'm guessing you either didn't use enough oil or you didn't stir it thoroughly enough.

My husband swears by adding oil to the water while the pasta is boiling. It doesn't seem very effective to me. Obviously, the mileage varies. :raz:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm not in the using oil camp, however I really don't know if it interfered with sauce clinging to the pasta. I simply place the pasta in a collander and run it under hot water. Works like a charm.

There's NO reason to toss pasta! :raz:

• 2 weeks later...

I think even room temp water can un-clump the pasta.

As for preventing the clumping, adding oil to the boiling water also didn't work for me. What I do is, after cooking, I place it under running water (to stop the cooking process), drain it (there should be little water left though), and then smother it with oil. Most probably, it is the carry-over cooking that's making the starches come out, hence making the pasta sticky.

Angel