• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Verveine Velay Extra

jmfangio

Walked into K&L Wines today for some vermouth, and walked out with a bottle of this as an impulse buy. I'd never heard of it before, and can't find much information on it. Just took a little sip, and the flavor is a bit like Yellow Chartreuse, with a dash of Fernet Branca. Alright, maybe that doesn't sound so appealing, so here's the description from the fine folks at Wine Enthusiast Magazine, who gave it a 90-95 rating:

The aroma is floral, herbal and root-like with elegant scents of flowers, and spices. The palate entry is herbal and almost sour; at the midpalate there are melded flavors of mint, sage, fennel, quinine, thyme and honey. Concludes more sweet than sour and delicately herbal/rooty. Lovely and elegant.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but my first thought is to try it in a Last Word in lieu of the Chartreuse.

Anyone have any more info or recipe ideas?

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

Don't know anything about the liqueur itself.

I do know "Verveine" is the French name for "Verbena", only because French Lemon Verbena soap is one of our favorites.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I do know "Verveine" is the French name for "Verbena", only because French Lemon Verbena soap is one of our favorites.

I love verbana, so that's what drew me to it in the first place. I just tried it in a Last Word, and it's fabulous. Not quite as herbal as the Chartreuse original, with hints of honey and mint. I'd like to try it in some other cocktails that call for Green or Yellow Chartreuse, perhaps a Bijou and a Widow's Kiss.

I think it's worth seeking out. As they say on Cocktail DB: Special Recommendation.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham