• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Saxum 2002 Syrah Paso Robles Broken Stones

Don Giovanni

TN: Saxum 2002 Syrah Paso Robles Broken Bones

Major New World wine...yes a fruit bomb and I love it...great the first day and better the second day...decanted the second day for 2 hours...

90% Syrah 10% Grenache

Color deep dark ruby ink... the rim of the wine when tilted is showing color...this tells me that this wine has entered an advanced stage of evolution...

The nose dark black berries, white lightning pepper followed by blueberries, plum, violet, black raspberry, heat, menthol, eucalyptus

Mouth feel hot, spicy tacos, caramelized bacon, great acid balance, again the blueberries, plum, vanilla is hiding in the background

Legs long big and bold

Alc By Vol 15.9%

96 points drink now as it is open this wine I would not hold for more than 3 more years...floks she's ready now enjoy...

This wine was given to me from an OL with Loren Sonkin who provided the bottle...great time great wines and great people...others will be posting notes from the OL...

• 3 weeks later...
How was the offline tasting, John?

By the way, the name of the wine is "Broken Stones."  (I changed the title for you.)  Clearly you enjoyed it alot.  :wink:

Mary,

the off line was a wonderful time...I was with Thomas Pellechia an author and person who is a winemaker, educator, author of a few books and a great person to know, Loren Sonkin a wine writer and a very generous person...I got to meet his family, very nice, he can be very proud of his life...he is also an attorney as is his wife, Ken B. a Cornell prof... very nice and very much a wine geek...Loren's wife Jane was the life of the event...my wife was nursing my youngest son 18 years old with pulled wisdom teeth...so she could not be there...she is my much better half...trust me...TTYL