• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: BSA

Florida Jim

Rice pasta with sautéed zucchini, mozzarella, chicken breast, garlic and a chopped tomato garnish:

2005 Thevenet, Morgon VV:

I know folks have mentioned brett in this wine but I couldn’t find any; medium strength nose of fresh fruit and spice; very slightly thin in the mouth but with solid fruit and nice balance; medium length finish. Not as dense and plush as on release but a pleasant wine. 13% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $23 on release; too high a price for me but I’d still be happy to drink yours.

Chosen because of the overall lightness of the dish and the inclusion of chicken; a good match with the wine keeping it light and sort of ‘filling in the spaces’ of the flavors.

Crackers and manchego:

2004 Descendientes de J. Palacios, Bierzo Pétalos:

Very nice nose of both red and black fruits, gun flint, turned earth and brown spice, complex and expansive; smooth but not soft, some grip, integrated flavors follow the nose with some complexity and individuality, good balance; long, clean finish. This has shed some of its tannin and integrated very well since release. It also has a personality all its own and I doubt one would confuse it with other wines; mencia makes some very interesting and delicious juice. 13.5% alcohol, imported by Rare Wine Co. and about $16; I’d buy it again in a heartbeat.

Chosen for its common heritage with the cheese and a fine accompaniment, it was.

(On day two, after pumping, it began to come apart and the oak was showing; I’d say these should be drunk near term.)

Sautéed rare Coho salmon; a salad of celery, mushrooms, parsley and parmesan dressed with olive oil; and, rice:

1999 Bründlmayer, Grüner Veltliner Loiser Berg:

A bit stinky on the nose with resin, white fruit and asparagus scents; textured and deep in the mouth with flavors similar to the nose, good cut and fine balance; very long. Showing its youth but also its pedigree. 12% alcohol, imported by Skurnik and about $14 at release; worth it.

Chosen on suggestion of many on the board and it was good with the salmon and rice but outstanding with the salad as the mushrooms flavors became more vivid and the celery and parsley flavors matched perfectly. An unexpected but delightful find.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com