• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Lesec Cotes du Rhone

Malkavian

Patrick Lesec Cotes du Rhone Beaumes 2001

I selected this bottle almost at random from a (to me rather intimidating) assortment of French wines--without any knowledge of it's status or stature in the wine world, it met the two requirements I had: price range and being of an appellation I was unfamiliar with (which really, is all of them, if I'm honest)

That said, I enjoyed it. Poured shades of purply garnet, with a somewhat subdued fruit and pepper nose. The taste ran from cherries and dark fruits down to smooth tobacco and leather, tannins noticeable but not what I'd call strong. I found the flavor combination calling for a cigar pairing: at the time I thought La Aroma de Cuba (a favorite vitola of mine) would be a good match; once the ones in my humidor have matured a little I'll be picking up another bottle to see how the pairing plays out.