• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Puzzling Pernodtini

maggiethecat

I talked to my father last night about a magical transformation he experienced in his martini glass before dinner.

It seems the original martini was knocked off the counter and he found himself out of gin after the LCBO had closed. Vodka is a non-starter (and non-existent) in his house so he picked the only bottle left in the cabinet: Pernod. He added some dry vermouth and here's where is gets spooky.

The drink turned orange.

I'm plain outta Pernod, but I know the inhabitants of this forum have a bottle or two lying about.. Would anyone like to duplicate this drink for me, and check in with your results?

If you get the same reaction in your glass, could you hazard a guess as to why this happens? My father is a chemical engineer, but he specialized in wood pulp, not cocktails.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

No sweet vermouth -- it's not a Manhattan household. Thanks for stepping up to the plate -- er, bar. I wish I knew if Daddy used M&R, Cinzano or Boissieres -- depending on what's on sale it could be any of them.

And did you taste the concoction? I'm betting it tasted like Pernod.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

a very large percentage of males, perhaps the majority, (and a significant percentage of women for that matter) are partially color-blind (i.e. unable to perceive shading differences with some colors). throw in differences in interior lighting (which can have drastic effects on color perception) and it's hardly surprising that one person would see orange where another sees yellow.

a very large percentage of males, perhaps the majority, (and a significant percentage of women for that matter) are partially color-blind (i.e. unable to perceive shading differences with some colors).  throw in differences in interior lighting (which can have drastic effects on color perception) and it's hardly surprising that one person would see orange where another sees yellow.

That sounds about right, actually.

(Come payday I'll give it a shot myself!)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com