• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celebrity chef restaurants in New York City

Fat Guy

I'm trying to generate a list of celebrity chef restaurants in New York City. I'm talking about the restaurants from people like Mario Batali and Bobby Flay, whose names would be recognized all over the place by people who aren't even necessarily foodies. I don't mean guys like Gray Kunz and Jean-Georges Vongerichten, who are celebrities to us but whose names don't mean much to the average person. I guess that means TV chefs, though perhaps there are some celebrity chefs who got their celebrity some other way -- I don't know.

So, besides all of Batali's restaurants, and all of Bobby Flay's restaurants . . .

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm trying to generate a list of celebrity chef restaurants in New York City. I'm talking about the restaurants from people like Mario Batali and Bobby Flay, whose names would be recognized all over the place by people who aren't even necessarily foodies. I don't mean guys like Gray Kunz and Jean-Georges Vongerichten, who are celebrities to us but whose names don't mean much to the average person. I guess that means TV chefs, though perhaps there are some celebrity chefs who got their celebrity some other way -- I don't know.

So, besides all of Batali's restaurants, and all of Bobby Flay's restaurants . . .

Morimoto

Maybe Todd English

Jeez, I hadn't thought of Morimoto. I definitely need help here.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I think Thomas Keller can be included, especially after Ratatouille.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

also the guy at Perilla

In one sense he qualifies, but does the fact that neither you nor I remember his name disqualify him at the moment :laugh: ?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

also the guy at Perilla

In one sense he qualifies, but does the fact that neither you nor I remember his name disqualify him at the moment :laugh: ?

that's probably exactly why he does qualify!

Rocco would if he had anything open at all.

Tyler Florence lives in NoLIta and I know that he's been scouting space on and off for a restaurant for years...(has he ever been a real chef?)

Gordon Ramsey

Joel Robuchon

Come to think of it - the NY dining scene is so steeped with history, the places were the celebrity long before the celebrity chef phenomenon. Places like Tavern on the Green, 21, etc

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

Daniel Boulud, on the strength of "After Hours". Granted, that's a pretty limited TV audience...

Marcus Samuelsson has had a bit of face time on PBS, but I think Aquavit is still probably better known as an entity than he is as a chef-personality.

Christopher

zagat's got a good list in their 2007 nyc restaurant guide - of course there are a few that are only obvious to us foodies, like you mention, but you can quickly filter them out.

Is De Niro a restaurateur, or more of an investor? I never did understand the extent of his role in those places. If he's just an investor, I wouldn't include him on this particular list. If, however, he's like Chris Noth (Mr. Big in "Sex and the City") with the Cutting Room and is actually involved in the restaurant's operations, then I'd probably include that.

(By the way, the reason I'm asking all this is that I'm helping someone out with a sidebar for a book about New York City)

From FG's initial post (and docsconz's follow-up post), it seems pretty limited to the Food Network chefs who have opened restaurants in New York... otherwise, it seems the majority of posters are limiting the field a bit too much to go beyond those three chefs (i.e. Batali, Flay and Morimoto).

I suppose it depends on FG's (or whoever is qualifying this thread's) definition of "celebrity" in relation to "chef." Is regular TV appearances a requirement? What about adverts in print and other media? I agree that Lidia Bastianich should be added, mostly based on the former; numerous PBS appearances.

If regular appearances, features, and adverts in print media is included, then certainly you'd have to include Boulud, Ripert, Robuchon, Ducasse (if he counts), and perhaps Keller.

Then there are the fringe "celebrities" to the "lay," but certainly rock stars in foodieland, like Dufresne, Matsuhisa, Takayama, Kunz, Samuelsson, and David Chang, etc....

What's the scope here?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Recognizable by the average North American non-foodie.

Recognizable by the average North American non-foodie.

Okay, according to this qualification, then I'd say the following:

Batali

Flay

Morimoto

Boulud

Ripert

Palmer

Keller

Vongerichten

Bastianich

I'm sure there are others, but right now, my average foodie mind can think of any.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com