• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OLEA in Plano

Kevin72

This Mediterranean tapas place is in the old Cafe Italia spot in the Lakeside Shopping Center on Preston in between Parker and Spring Creek. It's owned by the same guy who does Lavendou. Opened about three weeks ago, they put in a nice patio and have a good wine selection. Almost all the tapas sounded enticing. They also have a full-sized entree selection and do lunch as well. The tapas portions are more single serving or best split between two, so if you go with a large group you'll need to double up on orders.

Everything was delicious and there wasn't a misstep in the food, I thought. Highlights were the ceviche, the escargot in pastry, and the "salad" of sauteed pears and Serrano.

The kitchen may have been a little slow in turning orders out and there was kind of a loll to pay the check, but otherwise the service was attentive and helpful.

Highly recommended.

Hmm. Well unfortunately going here for lunch presented some problems. A much longer lag in service and an unremarkable "chorizo flatbread" which didn't look all that much different from a pepporoni pizza and was missing the artichokes listed on the menu. However, the salads all seemed impressive, notably their tuna salad.

I was excited that Olea had opened at last and got to sample it Saturday. They do try hard to please. The young man who was our server asked if we had heard of tapas before. A fair question, but I had to giggle inwardly. That was the whole reason I was there. He said that the restaurant was hoping to make Olea the tapas capital of the U.S. if not the World...a tall order!

Anyway, I think they are working through the serving and protocol procedures. At first the server forgot to bring the small serving plates when they brought out the focaccia and olives and then another waiter asked him, "they didn't want plates?" The server also described the manchego as a cheddar!? I've always felt it was closer to a parmesan so I had to wonder if he had heard of tapas before working there this morning. He then brought my sangria in a stemmed wine glass...with a straw :raz:

So, I did my usual and ordered a bunch of plates. I brought my 18 year old son with me, who has either eaten my tapas at home or at restaurants. All the food was delicious. The presentation was not what I expected. Not necessarily below expectations, just different. I am used to the plates being prepared for sharing purposes, it seemed that the plates were prepared as individual dishes. For example, the asparagus was two spears, criss crossed, with two rolls of jamon serrano filled with goat cheese. I've had the asparagus dish of similar description at Hola (esparagus with serrano and cheese) but there are more spears and they are sprinkled with jamon bits and manchego. I noticed at the next table a family ordered tapas, but they ordered them as individuals and evidently expected them to be served as individual dishes, no sharing.

Everything in the first round of tapas was served with a lot of lemon and parsley. I'm not sure why this stuck out but the lemon halves and thick slices seemed gargantuan next to the delicate slices of carpaccio and manchego. (We also ordered the before mentioned esparagus, calamari, and crab cakes) The second round included the mushrooms farci, trio of hummus/olives/eggplant spreads and sausages. These tended to be garnished with cherry tomato halves.

The waiter had suggested the escargot, though I have enjoyed it before, I decided to forgo it this time. I have to be in the right mood for it!

Kevin72, I'm glad you started this thread and that I found Egullet.

Edited by Patineuse (log)

Melissa Bowman

That's weird, now reading your review I remember that both times we've been we also had to order plates for the bread. Can't believe that that's still an issue.

Service seems to be the only abiding problem. And maybe they should drop the hint that the tapas are single or at the most double-serving instead of shared plates.

And maybe they should drop the hint that the tapas are single or at the most double-serving instead of shared plates.

That would make a lot of sense, since their presentation is different than the shared community plate tradition one associates with tapas. I really do hope they get their service issues worked out. I would like to support this restaurant.

Melissa Bowman

• 1 month later...

Things are definitely tightening up here. We went again last night and service was much more brisk and there were no oversights such as missing plates and silverware. We ordered tapas again and they came out at a good clip. Also, it may be my imagination, but the servings seemed to be a bit bigger this time as well.

• 1 month later...

Well, it was Thursday, so pretty light. Mostly 40s to 60s crowd, although a few younger couples. The guitarist strolled between inside and outside rather than staying at a stationary set up. I was inside. Outside would have been pleasant, but my allergies have been giving me fits lately; and I'm pretty mildly allergic. The outside patio has the mister for warmer days. I'll have to try it once the air clears up a bit.

Melissa Bowman