• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospice Du Rhone 2007

Rebel Rose

Did anyone attend events at this year's Hospice du Rhone in Paso Robles? I had tickets to the luncheon, auction, and grand tasting but unfortunately not able to attend . . .

I did attend a private offline event on Friday night, but as we were busy grilling, I was unable to snap pictures. An 8' square table was completely covered in bottles, another table (and benches) with side dishes, and both grills were busy all night. Too much fun. I had a very impressive sauvignon blanc from Dry Stack Cellars, produced by Russell Bevan. It was a crisp, citrusy style that I really liked--full on acidity, but with some elegant, deeper notes of orange peel and apricot.

For the auction, Robert Parker donated a fabulous lot:

I am sponsoring the following tasting for 10 people of Rhone wines from my cellar and a meal at Baltimore's finest restaurant-Charleston

1.Wm Deutz 96 rose cuvee Wm. Deutz

2.2003 white Hermitage horizontal..Chave,Chapoutier's l'Oree,Meal,l'Ermite

3.Vertical of Rayas...95,90,89,88,85

4.Winner's choice..vertical of Beaucastel..01,00,98,90,89,78...OR. .horizontal of 89 CNDPs..Beaucastel,Clos des Papes,Marcoux VV,Bonneau Reserve des Celestins,Chapoutier Barbe Rac,and Les Cailloux-Centenaire

5.2003 red Hermitage horizontal..Chave,Chapoutier Pavillon,Remizieres L'Essential,Guigal Ex-Voto,Chapoutier l'Ermite

6.Vertical of Pegau...03,00,98 Cuvee da Capo,and 90 Cuvee Reservee

7.Selection of Chave and Chapoutier vins de Paille

Minimum bid for this lot was $20,000, and it sold for $62,000!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook