• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paco Torreblanca

docsconz

Paco Torreblanca is generally considered the greatest pastry chef in Spain and arguably the world. I hope to be able to visit his shop and workshop in Elda in Alicante shortly. Unfortunately it is very inconveniently out of my way, but I will do my best to get there. Assuming I do, what are the absolute must-have confections and what is amenable to travel?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Short of getting to the shop in Alicante are there any alternatives in either Alicante or Valencia for sampling his products?

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

No, you can sample his products in Madrid where he has another shop, but the only place to find them in Valencia or Alicante is in his Elda shop.

Bonbons are good but the absolutely must is the chocolate panettone. Sadly it only last a few days once is opened.

You can also buy his products on his website

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

• 4 weeks later...
No, you can sample his products in Madrid where he has another shop, but the only place to find them in Valencia or Alicante is in his Elda shop.

Bonbons are good but the absolutely must is the chocolate panettone. Sadly it only last a few days once is opened.

You can also buy his products on his website

Where is his madrid shop, a quick google search leads to two locations of D'E Sergi Arola. Is there another stand alone location?

• 4 weeks later...
hi john just wanted to ask did you manage to buy any of the chocolate panettoni?

ive been reading his cookery books and emailed them they can send a box of them to barcelona when im there soon, are they worth it do you know?

thanks marc

I never made it to his Atelier or his shop, but I did try the Panettone. It was incorporated into a dessert at El Poblet. Actually, the dessert was built around it. It was in fact delicious. As for whether or not they are worth it, that depends on so many personal factors. I'm glad that I had some and would love to do so again - depending on the cost. If the price is not a major issue, I would suggest trying it as it is a signature creation of one of Spain's culinary greats.

Twitter - @docsconz