• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Abode Restaurant, Santa Monica

rjwong

Abode just opened on Wed. night (16 Apr. 2007), and I had dinner there on a Sat. night. Executive Chef Dominique Crenn recently worked at the Manhattan Country Club, and previously worked at such Bay Area restaurants as Stars (under Jeremiah Tower) and Campton Place. Chef Dominique was executive chef at the Intercontinental Hotel in Jarkarta, and assumed the role of first female executive chef in the country of Indonesia.

Described as “Sustainable, Artisanal, Seasonal,” Abode serves contemporary American cuisine. The decor is also contemporary and hip. Don’t worry. The photos are coming later.

The service was fine ... for now. I realize that the restaurant just opened for less than a week. Mind you, once a place opens, everything is fair game, IMO. My server was very eager to please, helpful and engaging, a bit too casual for my taste. Also, he needs to be more familiar with the menu and its details. I expect that from any fine dining restaurant. Now, a few photos and the food ...

Full disclosure: I know the pastry chef, who wasn’t there that evening. I thought it best to mention that fact, so as to not be accused of shilling.

Abode is tucked away in the back patio area beyond the fountain:

gallery_24802_4563_99677.jpg

gallery_24802_4563_36065.jpg

gallery_24802_4563_55575.jpg

gallery_24802_4563_40182.jpg

You can see the entrance door from the center booth, where I was seated.

gallery_24802_4563_15990.jpg

Four preparations of foie gras with a pineapple gelee

This appetizer was served, compliments of the chef. They are all delicious, but I like the sauteed foie gras the best. The gelee adds a nice complement to the different preparations.

gallery_24802_4563_68982.jpg

Pea soup with pea “caviar”, topped with cocoa mascapone

The combination works quite well.

gallery_24802_4563_106037.jpg

Beet salad with walnuts, French goat cheese and beet gelee

I know it’s a nice, safe choice. Mind you, everybody has their own version, ehh? And I love beets ...

gallery_24802_4563_48641.jpg

Lamb Two Ways: Lamb chops with fava beans & mint

The lamb chops were absolutely delicious! And yes, I was gnawing on the bones, discreetly, of course ...

gallery_24802_4563_55729.jpg

Lamb cheeks with dried prunes, imported from France, in a tagine

The lamb cheeks were very adventurous to me. They were tender with a chocolate texture, in my thinking. Mind you, not sweet, more in the mole context ... It’s not so easy trying to explain this flavor complex. The Syrah from Ojai was a nice recommendation from the chef. And how often is lamb cheeks served in a restaurant?

gallery_24802_4563_14504.jpg

Banana/mango croquettes with caramel sauce and creme fraiche

Very good dessert. There was a “Study in Chocolate” dessert listed, but I was not in a chocolate mood. FYI Because my pastry chef/friend very recently got hired, the dessert menu was actually created by Chef Dominique Crenn.

NB Once the new pastry chef gets acclimated and the new dessert menu is in place, the gloves are coming off ...

I’m definitely planning to go back and try the tasting menu, which will be available shortly.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

So I take it you enjoyed your meal?  It looks very interesting.

Yes, I enjoyed my meal, Swicks. I also want to give Abode staff some time to get familiar with their new restaurant. I'll probably go for their tasting menu. Are you interested, Swicks?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...