• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Sat Bains

we believe dining is about fun

blimey, best give this place a miss then.

Not sure about that. It's just the term 'fun; what's it supposed to mean? Either it's a synonym for 'enjoyable', as in: we believe dining should be enjoyable, which hardly needs saying. Or it means something to do with clowns; i.e. not 'funny' exactly, but 'fun'. Think Patch Adams, but with chefs and waiters. Or it means vice; It was just a bit fun your honour (having been arrested for dogging). It could even be an antonym to 'serious'; you know, the kind of restaurant where everyone; is frowning like, er ... like um, well, somewhere very serious.

we believe dining is about fun

blimey, best give this place a miss then.

Not sure about that. It's just the term 'fun; what's it supposed to mean? Either it's a synonym for 'enjoyable', as in: we believe dining should be enjoyable, which hardly needs saying. Or it means something to do with clowns; i.e. not 'funny' exactly, but 'fun'. Think Patch Adams, but with chefs and waiters. Or it means vice; It was just a bit fun your honour (having been arrested for dogging). It could even be an antonym to 'serious'; you know, the kind of restaurant where everyone; is frowning like, er ... like um, well, somewhere very serious.

Zoticus, it is good to see all those years of studying philosophy have been of some use to you :wink:

Some advice for you, if you decide to go to SB, free your mind of any thoughts, just let them go, it is ok. Then eat the food and simply decide whether it tasted good or not, or similarly whether you enjoyed it or not. Pay the bill, leave the building and resist the need to post mortem or obsessively ruminate about anything other than whether it tasted good or not. This should help you on many levels :biggrin:

My opinion is the food at SB's tasted very pleasant.

Some advice for you, if you decide to go to SB, free your mind of any thoughts, just let them go, it is ok. Then eat the food and simply decide whether it tasted good or not, or similarly whether you enjoyed it or not. Pay the bill, leave the building and resist the need to post mortem or obsessively ruminate about anything other than whether it tasted good or not. This should help you on many levels  :biggrin:

My opinion is the food at SB's tasted very pleasant.

Thanks for your concern.

The point I was trying to make is that in my experience when food has a theory behind it, the theory is often vastly superior to the food. Once bitten, and so on ...

Some of the participants on these boards generously believe these theories; good people, no doubt, but to my mind this is about as reliable as believing the blurb on a DVD.

Some of the participants on these boards generously believe these theories; good people, no doubt, but to my mind this is about as reliable as believing the blurb on a DVD.

Zoticus why concern yourself with theories and other peoples opinions, you know they are totally unrelieable, infact the only relieable source to you is yourself. To gain some firm evidence on the hypothesis that SB's food may be just be Fat Duck inspired bogus philosophy and lacking taste, is to get down there and judge for yourself.

As that famous philosopher once said, 'The proof of the pudding..................' :wink:

Zoticus why concern yourself with theories and other peoples opinions, you know they are totally unrelieable, infact the only relieable source to you is yourself.

Careful now, if you tug on that thread any harder then the whole of the internet will begin to unravel.

• 2 months later...

Took a trip to Sat's yesterday for the Surprise Menu (with matching wines). Very nice, and we were presented with souvenir menus handwritten by the man himself at the end. Highlights were a lovely piece of seared foie gras (the only time I've ever really liked that stuff) a beautifully done scallop and some sublimely pink grouse. There were, however, a few misses, and whilst it's definitely a very interesting restaurant for my money it isn't in the same league as The Fat Duck. 7.5/10.

• 4 months later...

Sat Bains - 19 January 2008

A fun and enjoyable dinner here last week - with some very accomplished cooking. There were 5 of us, so we opted for the tasting room which has a menu for £95 per head "exploring taste, texture and temperature" and also gives a view onto the kitchen - always fun.

We did get copies of the menu, but as Sat said himself "they won't make sense, and they're not supposed to!" - was more a list of the different flavours and textures etc we would get that evening. Although there were some last minutes tweaks - just to keep us on our toes!

The full menu - or what I can recall from my scribbled notes is given below - as well as a link to the photos. Highlights of the meal were:

- the duck egg with bellota ham and pea sorbet - as seen on the Great British Menu last year - and absolutely delicious. Fabulous flavours, cleverly balanced and simultaneously exciting and comforting - bravo indeed.

-Carpaccio of monkfish, belly pork, avocado cream, local greens salad, smoked herring roe - doesn’t sound the most obviously cohesive of dishes does it, but the fish and pork were excellent examples of their kind.

- a dessert of poached rhubarb, apricot, ginger ice-cream, coconut mousse (I think), basil and almond - light, refreshing and with a lovely blend of flavours - my favourite of the four desserts we were served.

The tasting room is effectively a private room, with a sliding door view onto the kitchen … so we rotated where we were seated every couple of courses so that we each enjoyed a decent view onto the kitchen. This may have initially perplexed the team, but they soon took it into their accomplished stride. The young chef (whoops - forgot to ask his name!) who introduced most of the courses was very friendly and helpful, and Sat seems to be Mr Conviviality himself!! :D

So - along with most of the view upthread - would certainly say it's worth looking up if you're in the area. We certainly plan to try and visit again - just a question of when …

photos are linked here

For reference, I think what we had was:

Amuses of:

• Parmesan and spinach (?) cream
  • Hamachi tuna with apple, fennel and yuzu dressing
  • Prawn tempura

and then ..

• Bread - 2 kinds - treacle and buttermilk

• Duck egg at 62 degrees, bellota ham, toast, texture of peas, sherry dressing
  • Roasted scallop, peanut and sprout salad, roasted cauliflower puree, black Italian truffle
  • Fore royale, textures of sweet corn - popcorn, soup, ice-cream
  • Carpaccio of monkfish, belly pork, toast, avocado cream, almonds, local greens salad and smoked herring roe
  • Sous vide lamb, braised neck, toasted and raw parsnips, anchovy fritter amnd treacle sauce
  • Stilton soaked in port, oatcakes, wild honey
  • Figs in port, pine nut icecream, fig puree, 4 yr old parmesan shavings
  • Passion fruit puree, marshmallow mousse, dried butterscotch, candied grated liquorice
  • Chocolate - chocolate mousse “cooked” on the ant griddle, more chocolate mousse - some with popping candy and some candied violets, olive oil jelly, and a chocolate olive oil ganache (from Damian Allsop I think)
  • poached rhubarb, apricot, ginger ice-cream, coconut mousse (I think), basil and almond

• 2 months later...
Just booked a table at Sats for dinner in June, anyone been lately?

Hold on a second :huh: Didn't you do exactly the same thing last year and book for June ---just like me today?

Edited by Bapi (log)

Hold on a second :huh: Didn't you do exattly the same thing last year and book for June ---just like me today?

That was a mistake Mathew, what it should of read was we have been full for the last 9 months, We only take bookings 2 months ahead.

Bapi and Fisherman there is definately deja-vu in the air.... see you both soon.

Aye :)

It's Jo's birthday mid June........

We now have a ritual, Sat's for hers, Anthonys for mine

When are you going?

Hold on a second :huh: Didn't you do exactly the same thing last year and book for June ---just like me today?

Bapi and Fisherman there is definately deja-vu in the air.... see you both soon.

Looking forward to it Sat. We've struggled to top last years meal at your place, in fact we've failed, so the bar is set pretty high for this year :)

Aye :)

It's Jo's birthday mid June........

We now have a ritual, Sat's for hers, Anthonys for mine

Sorry we shan't be joining you again this year. We've got a table booked for Judy's birthday at a little place just north of Barcelona. :rolleyes:

Although come to think of it, there's my birthday to plan for as well.

I must reiterate my sorrow about leaving my booking too late on a recent weekend in Nottingham and missing a highly prized table at one of my fav restaurants. Bapi I await your 2nd review :smile:

Congratulations by the way Sat on your recent OFM award, truly deserved. I must say that hair piece you wore in the footage (Roux Scholarship) on the Great British Menu tonight really suited you. :wink:

hold on a second :huh: didn't you say you were organising a meal at sat bains for scott and i?

no, it's fine you look after yourself. :wink:

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

you don't win friends with salad

Sorry we shan't be joining you again this year. We've got a table booked for Judy's birthday at a little place just north of Barcelona.  :rolleyes:

OK, not so subtle hint taken, I have now booked for Duncan's birthday.

(Although based on last time we may need a very light diet between then and going to Spain for my birthday...)

• 2 months later...
Sorry we shan't be joining you again this year. We've got a table booked for Judy's birthday at a little place just north of Barcelona.  :rolleyes:

OK, not so subtle hint taken, I have now booked for Duncan's birthday.

(Although based on last time we may need a very light diet between then and going to Spain for my birthday...)

Ok, we're now in light diet mode until the end of the week. Judy booked the package with the surprise menu (full writeup and photos) and we had an excellent time all round. Highlights included a Wagyu beef carpaccio, Rabbit "not from the garden", Veal with morels and broad beans, Chocolate and pistachio dessert, and a Peach and raspberry dessert.

Full menu:

Aperitif: Champagne, Oyster with Tabasco & Worcestershire sauce, Tempura Oyster with lemon mayonnaise

Squid-orzo-alphonso-coriander;

sweetcorn soup, foie gras, popcorn, pickled girolles;

melon, tomato, balsamic, olive oil;

salt cod croquette

Sauvignon Blanc (N.Z., North Island)

Breads: treacle and paprika, lincolnshire butter.

Monkfish, Wagyu beef "carpaccio", "soy truffle" shoots, mussel juice

Chardonnay (Adelaide Hills)

Crab "Brown Bread and Butter", sea herbs, grapefruit

Rabbit "Not From The Garden", salsify, ash "Noma"

Pinot Gris (Oregon)

Lemon Sole, Abbey Park asparagus "Raw - Cooked", Bellota Ham

Goosnargh Duck, Foie Gras Royale, pumpkin salad, cocoa, cumin fudge, birch sap

Mademoiselle (3rd growth Medoc)

Wild sorrel granita

Rose veal from Shropshire with morels, broad beans, jersey royal, jus gras

Fig, pine nut ice cream, aged parmesan

Cheeses from Premier (Eric) (Ticklemore, Tunworth, Langres AOC, Lincolnshire poacher, Maroilles 'La Cave', Cropwell Bishop stilton)

Pineapple, fennel, coconut and lime foam

Chocolate "Fruit and Nut", yoghurt

Maury & Chenin blanc (S.W. Aus)

Caramelised Peach, raspberry, basil and sage

"TASTE - TEXTURE - TEMPERATURE"

Tea and chocolates