• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oysters Rockefeller

little ms foodie

tonight we are making Oysters Rockefeller and in my research I came across soooo many variations. I had always thought it had spinach (which ours will) but I see lots of recipes for watercress and some just use celery & parsley. So for those of you who love OR what is your version and what do you think is in the green?

i saute chopped bacon and onions, deglaze with annisette liquor, add spinach and finish cooking. i stuff the oysters with the spinach stuffing, and half way through cooking, i spoon on a little mornay sauce. it comes out very nice.

My version is as follows:

Saute 1 oz minced shallot and 1 clove minced garlic in olive oil. Add 2 cups spinach and wilt. Add 1.5 oz. Pernod and reduce. Add 6 oz of cream which has been reduced from 12 oz. Add .25 cup Parmesan cheese (grated). Salt and Pepper to taste. Top Oysters with 1 tablespoon of mixture. Sprinkle with additional parmesan. Broil until parmesan browns slightly. Oyster should be warm but not cooked. :cool:

Edited by TJHarris (log)

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Love oysters Rockefeller and have tried them all sorts of ways, with no spinach, sometimes with a ton of green onion or watercress. I have worked in a number of restaurants where they were a "signature" item. I don't know if it is the best, but this is the recipe I use. Enjoy and of course, play with it. And use frozen spinach if you want to, just squeeze it dry.

Oysters Rockefeller

8 Appetizer Servings

4 Tablespoons Butter

2 Cloves Garlic, Minced

1/3 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs

2 Shallots, Minced

2 Cups Chopped Fresh Spinach

¼ Cup Pernod or Other Anise Liqueur

Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste

Dash of Hot Pepper Sauce

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

¼ Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan

1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Chervil or Parsley

2 Dozen Oysters, on the Half Shell

Rock Salt

Lemon Wedges to Garnish

METHOD:

1. Melt the butter in a heavy skillet. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.

2. Place the bread crumbs in a bowl and add HALF of the garlic butter. Set aside.

3. To the remaining garlic butter in the skillet, add the shallots and spinach. Cook for about 3 minutes until the spinach wilts. Deglaze the pan with the Pernod. Season with salt and pepper and add a dash of hot pepper sauce. Allow to cool slightly.

4. Finish off the bread crumbs by mixing in the olive oil, parmesan, and chervil or parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

5. Spoon a spoonful of the mixture on each oyster followed by a spoonful of the bread crumb mixture. Sprinkle a baking pan amply with rock salt. Arrange the oysters in the salt to steady them. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. Serve with lemon wedges and hot pepper sauce.