• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Côtes du Marmandais

Don Giovanni

Tasting Notes on: le Vignoble d’Elian 2003 Côtes du Marmandais

First impression: The nose is very tight until the Brett kicks you like a Mule, after a while she opens up to a whisper of violets and Black Currants. One must be gentle with her and get by the barnyard manure and let the cinnamon and violets out to enjoy this wine.

The look: Has the legs of Marilyn Monroe. With the glass tilted so the wine can run up to the rim, the color of the edge closest to the rim had a Ruby edge. In the glass with good light and a white background the color was dark Ruby Red.

After the first sip: Soft tannins on the lips and well balanced.

Mouth feel: Very well balanced soft tannins, has to have been very old oak maybe 7 to 10 vintages my guess. Behind the Brett you will find Black Currants, ripe stems, ripe seeds and ripe tannins.

RS .65%

Alc. 13.5% by Vol.

One of the things that made this wine taste much older was the Synthetic Cork Oxidation has helped this out for now, but it won’t age well due to the obnoxious closure. As I am a producer having never had one bottle returned due to TCA they should use what I use or something from Amorim Inc.

Other than the closure I loved this wine.

my score 90 points

This AVA should have garnered more respect. Seize it like a Eagle and grab it by your tallens take this one home.

Côtes du Marmandais

France's lesser-known zones immediately east of Bordeaux

An Eric Solomon European Cellars Selection

Imported by: European Cellars Direct New York NY

Special Barrel Cuvée Selection

Marmandais RED WINE

The label has a Dove on it. I love peace, so it was a small factor in the selection. FYI, Eric Solomon was the youngest to Study for The Master of Wine in America.

An Eric Solomon European Cellars Selection

The cost was $15.99

I purchased this bottle at Sparrow's Fine Wines in Ithaca, NY. David Sparrow , Owner heck of a nice person and very knowledgeable 607-256-7145