• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Châteauneuf-du-Pape Bosquet des Papes 2000

Don Giovanni

:biggrin: Quote:

Before wine critic Robert M. Parker, Jr. began promoting them, the wines of Chateauneuf were considered rustic and of limited appeal in the USA. However, his influence increased their price four-fold in a decade . In gratitude, the Chateauneuf Winemakers Union pushed for his becoming an honorary citizen of the village.

Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Bosquet des Papes (literally translated "The Popes Thicket").

Vintage 2000

ALC. 13.5% By Vol

100% Grenache CUVÉE

Decanted 1 hour and developed as the night went on.

The nose: earthy not funky Brett but honest clean earth, menthol ,plum, black pepper spice that tickles your nose, black licorice intertwined by anise, cherries, brambling raspberries.

The color: a wonderful bright Ruby red, when tilted so the wine touches the edge of the glass the color changes to a pale pink then to translucent, this tell me the wine has some years left, just by looking at it.

The first taste: Nice mouth-feel well balanced, sweet on the tip of your tongue, fuzzy on the top of the tongue, tingles the sides and then a snap in the back finish followed by spice ever so nice.

The second taste: Brambling deep dark raspberries, velvet, good balance or acidity, whiff of vanilla, followed by coconut on the exhale...a real seductive wine, again the anise and black licorice, red cherries, plum, black pepper, the hang time, long short as opposed to medium long, this wine is starting to hit it's zenith over the next few years should be very nice and hold up. One word "Gouey-ah-tha-lah" whom ever can tell me what that word means I will send you one bottle of something nice, limited to the first correct answer. USA only.

The cork OMG how beautiful the embossed bird with grapes in it's beak perched on a vine.., I love this cork. . the bottle raised embossed heavy glass nice punt and the raised embossed logo was very impressive.

My score Points 92

$37.00 bought in Ithaca, NY at Sparrow's Fine Wines

Address: 726 W Green St, Ithaca, NY 14850 Phone: (607) 256-7145

Disclosure I have no affiliation with this store in any way.