• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Up River Cafe/Westerly, RI

ELA

Anyone ever been to this place? I was going to recommend it to a friend of mine, primarily because the chef was Andrew Nathan (formerly owner/chef at Frontierre, in NYC). I knew Andrew and liked him and his cooking. Anyway, it sounds/looks like a new executive chef is there.

Does anyone know if Andrew Nathan is still there? Has anyone been to the restaurant lately? Thank you.

Eric

From their website, it seems that he's out and Terence Maul is in:

Terrence Maul, 36 most recently hails from the American brasserie Red Stripe, Providence’s “Best New Restaurant” as named by Rhode Island Monthly’s readers poll.  While serving as Chef of Red Stripe, Terrence refined the concept, created menus and lead the restaurant to become one of the city’s most popular eateries.

Given how wildly inconsistent the food was at Red Stripe (click here for some reports), I'm not sure what this means. The RS problems often seemed to be about execution on the line, or even FOH stuff, so....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

We have been there quite a few times, but only on warm sunny days, for lunch. They have a fabulous outdoor patio that is secluded and right on the river. Their menu is good and changes a lot, which I like. I can't recall ever being dissapointed with the exception of some local oysters that were expensive and just too small. The patio is the reason to go. The food is a good reason to enjoy the patio.

HC

Thank you very much for the info. So, do any of the locals know where Andrew Nathan might have gone, what he's doing, etc. -- ???

Thanks again.

Eric

Nothing on Andrew Nathan? If any of the local finger on the pulse people have their eyes and ears open, and you hear of anything, please top this and thank you in advance. I greatly appreciate it.

Eric

• 7 months later...

My husband has a job offer in Groton CT and we're headed to the area in two weeks for a visit. Any recent visits to this place, or other recommendations between Westerly and Old Lyme CT? I'm trying to find things to like around there that don't require an hour in a car.

Westerly, RI (and Watch Hill) has great beaches, too. And check out Guytano's on Franklin St (US-rt. 1) (don't be put off by it's strip mall location--the food's good)

Stonington Borough, CT--Noah's, Water St. Cafe, and a great quaint little village full of antique shops, interesting architecture, and water views.

Mystic, CT--For finer dining, there's the Capt. Daniel Packer Inn, Bravo Bravo, and Go Fish --an average seafood place, but the sushi is excellent. Avoid the Seaman's Inn at all costs. For a huge, creative, tasty, and somewhat rustic breakfast or lunch, Kitchen Little on Rt 27 right next to Mystic Seaport is outstanding for what it is. As for attractions--Mystic Aquarium, Mystic Seaport (Maritime Museum).

Groton and New London have their ups and downs, a few charming dives, etc. worth searching out.

To the west, the Old Saybrook Inn is pretty nice.

The area has a lot to offer--it's not NYC, San Fran, or Boston, but it has some sleepers, and more than a few great pubs. (Harp and Hound, John's in Mystic, CC O'Brien's in Pawcatuck (Westerly), Bulkeley House in New London, Griswold Inn in Essex, CT). Fair warning--this list ranges from decent dives to historic, Revolutionary-era taprooms.

Perhaps one of the best things to do once (or more) a summer is to put the car on the Long Island ferry (Cross Sound Ferry--www.longislandferry.com) at New London in the morning, and go to Orient Point. Drive down NY Route 25 towards Riverhead, stop at the farm stands, have lunch in Riverhead. Taste wine all the way back to the ferry. The wine trail, while not exactly Napa or Sonoma, is unlike anything else on the east coast. You can stop and taste at a couple of dozen vineyards, have dinner in Greenport, and take the 9 pm ferry back to New London. You get a boat ride at each end, don't have to drive very much, and get to taste some pretty nice wine in nice locations. My wife and I have done it a few times and it's been a blast every time.

Good wine is a necessity of life for me. --Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for all these recommendations. We probably won't have time for sightseeing on this trip, but we should be able to eat well! Our last name is Bulkley, and someone told my husband about Bulkeley House when he was out there for his interview, so I'm glad to her it's good because I'm sure we would have had to go there anyway.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...