Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cake scrap uses

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

As you say, little jam tarts. Cut into strips, twist, sprinkle with sugar. Cut into little shapes with cutters or free-form with a knife, freeze on a sheet pan, store i a ziplock bag for later use to decorate pies or to garnish fancy first courses. If you have enough and make pastry frequently enough, you can do the same thing with little tart or barquette pans and make shells for the freezer.

#62 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

I've suggested this in another thread (somewhere here on eGullet) but the cake scraps can be used in trifles. If you're a bakery making something to sell, you can use small clear plastic cups and make mini trifles. Cake-custard-whipped cream layered and if fruit is in season, add a layer of glazed strawberries (raspberries go well with chocolate cake scraps...sort of a Black Forest trifle which normally uses cherries).

As for cookie crumbs, topping ice cream or yogurt was my first thought. If you have a lot, I can see them processed into a crumb topping for an apple brown betty or topping a quasi-linzer type torte or cookie.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#63 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

I made Crumb Layer Cake #1, with crumb from yellow cake doughnuts, and the soda was not enough leavening. I used the creaming method, which was apparently also a mistake. Oh yeah, I halved the recipe, and added 1.25 cups milk and had a stiff batter which probably should have been more liquid, next time I will go up to 1.5cups. It came out like a crumbly cookie. It didn't taste bad, several people commented that it was like a deluxe graham cracker or halfway between a graham cracker and fruitcake.

Spice-wise I added .3 grams each of cinnamon and ginger and tossed in a heavy-handed dash of allspice and a quick grating of nutmeg.

Once I get more crumbs I will try it again. (I got a lot of candied fruit on huge markdown in January, including a large tub of chopped mixed fruit.) I think I will separate the eggs and whip the whites in one bowl, then cream the butter & lard and add yolks/etc. (with more milk) and fold whites in at the end.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert