Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Who you read

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aaustin

aaustin
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:29 PM

I'm curious to know whose columns, sites, blogs, etc you read on a regular/weekly basis--for wine, for food, for restaurant info in other cities and in NYC. Any fresh writers out there that you find exciting? Or old-timers whom you try to emulate?

Edited by aaustin, 15 February 2005 - 02:30 PM.

#2 Eric Asimov

Eric Asimov
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:30 PM

All the usual suspects.....egullet, chowhound, etc.,

In wine, I especially like reading Matt Kramer, an always provocative columnist for the Wine Spectator who I recently discovered has a weekly column in the NY Sun. His books, Making Sense of Wine and Making Sense of California Wine, are really good.

Patrick Matthews is a British writer whose done some really interesting wine books. His best, Real Wine, was published a few years ago, but I think you can still find it on Amazon.

I like Rod Smith, who writes about wine for the L.A. Times and for Wine and Spirits magazine.

Karen MacNeil's The Wine Bible is possibly the single best one-volume primer.

Frank Prial is the master!

Andrew Jefford's The New France is essential.

On the web, Mark Squires' wine bulletin board, which you can access through www.erobertparker.com, is full of lively and throughtful discussions.

Allen Meadows's site, www.burghound.com, is essential for any Burgundy lover, but you have to pay for it.

Natalie MacLean is always fun: www.natdecants.com

Beeradvocate.com and realbeer.com are excellent resources.

I am a big fan of Ed Behr's quarterly, "The Art of Eating,'' and Calvin Trillin and Jane and Michael Stern have always been my heroes. John T. Edge, John Thorne, Robb Walsh are great, and I have no doubt I've left out plenty of favorites.....

#3 jayt90

jayt90
  • participating member
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:40 PM

I have to add Joanne Kates, at the Toronto Globe and Mail. She has been setting the tone for good restaurants here since the 70's, and we have seen her age and mature in the process.