Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Competition: Round Twelve

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 07:33 PM

Manet's "Dejeuner sur l'Herbe," a painting so enigmatic it's haunted me since I was five. (How many of your parents owned "Art Treasures of the Louvre?")

Whassup here? Food and naked ladies are happening, but not a whole lot of fun.

Please write me a story, send me an Art History Major dissertation, or explain what was on the menu. A smart-ass caption would also be welcome.

Posted Image

I feel underdressed. Post your entries here:
"I should have brought a jacket and a green bean casserole!"

Edited by maggiethecat, 20 October 2003 - 07:40 PM.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#2 Al_Dente

Al_Dente
  • participating member
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 08:02 PM

Huh? Is there anything better than food and naked ladies?
peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...
-- A.B.

#3 guajolote

guajolote
  • participating member
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 08:29 PM

Dear, where should I attach the wine clip first?

#4 Gifted Gourmet

Gifted Gourmet
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 08:44 PM

Manet's "Dejeuner sur l'Herbe," a painting so enigmatic it's haunted me since I was five.  (How many of your parents owned "Art Treasures of the Louvre?")

Yes, to my parents owning a lot of art books (grew up thinking our true last name was "Abrams!") and taking me to the Louvre at 8 years of age ... took my own child there for her 25th birthday ... a wiser notion on my part, it would appear ...

it was, naturellement, as I grew to adulthood that I came to have a greater appreciation of art, food, naked anybodies, and the joys of enigmas ... (do be a dear and don't read this as relating to colonics of any sort!)

I think of this painting as either seductive foreplay for these two men or perhaps a little enjoyable "cigarette" after the first act ... has a certain je ne sais quoi quality to it .. personally like Renoir's Boating Party Luncheon better and Seurat's Afternoon in the Park ... neither makes women look unduly foolish ... but that is just my opinion (credit here to the one and only Dennis Miller ... now he would have just the right caption!!)

#5 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 09:03 PM

This is All Good. But please be brilliant here:Entries

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

#6 tryska

tryska
  • participating member
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 06:31 AM

i would say something about lunching and munching but it would be more on the crude side and less on the brilliant side.

Edited by tryska, 21 October 2003 - 06:31 AM.

#7 Foodie_Penguin

Foodie_Penguin
  • participating member
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:12 PM

Can't guess what was eaten at the picnic but I reckon the ladies ate too much, loosened their clothing, kept on eating and had to disrobe altogether. :biggrin:

Foodie_Penguin

#8 Schneier

Schneier
  • participating member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 01:38 PM

Dear, where should I attach the wine clip first?

Yikes!

#9 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 11:58 AM

Last chance, picnickers! I'm closing this Smackdown tonight at midnight in the time zone of your choice.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

#10 mdibiaso

mdibiaso
  • participating member
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 06:53 AM

It is simple. They are two artists, one is painting a clothed model the other is paintin a naked one. They have just taken their lunch break, the clothed model is washing up before she starts modelling. Why isn't the naked one washed. Because her artist has licked his plate and palette clean!

#11 denise_jer

denise_jer
  • participating member
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 08:26 AM

One of my art history professors always had a thing for fruit and sexuality, so in honor of her, here goes:

Traditionally, fruit has been used as a symbol of sensuality. In the picture before you, you see the sensual and ripeness of the models echoed in the sensual and ripe fruit in the foreground: apples, plums, cherries. It is no coincidence that soft curves of the fruit are mimicked in the soft curves of the models - they play off each other to draw the view into the decadent world of the artist.

Wow! It's like I'm back in that dark classroom, discussing slide after slide of fruit symbolism, except I'm not falling asleep after the second hour...