Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
596 replies to this topic

#31 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

rarerollingobject

pomegranate molasses, chilli, lime and walnuts

and

tahini garlic sauce

would you share the Rx?  im not a fan of walnuts but I might try it that way or use pecans. the tahini sauce looks very creamy!

#32 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

huiray : Lovely dinners from all, both complex and simple.

@ dcarch - just wondering, how do you keep the food warm while doing all that fantastic plating (surely it takes some time) and photography (yet more time)?

Actually, If you look at my dishes, I seldom spend much time on them. I don't do anything fancy, just mostly piling the ingredients. When photographing, I always have the identical setup, a top view and a side view. I don't spend anytime in composition.

Lighting is identical in all my shots. Flip one switch, click, click, I am done.

Before I plate, the plate is in the microwave with some water, and the plate will be boiling hot for the food.

Thanks for asking.

BTW, very lovely photographed "Shui Kow" dumplings.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch, 02 March 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#33 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

interesting.  Ive been using that Microwave trick  also.

#34 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Last night I made a Kala Chana  curry dish served over rice.  This kind of food just pushes my buttons, big time.

The day before that it was red beans and rice.

Been trying to use up some of the dried beans in the pantry.

#35 Antwaan Randle Kay

Antwaan Randle Kay
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Ris de Veau with lemongrass, herb jus

#36 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

huiray

thanks for the tip on 'Prime Foods'   Ill look for them next time im a the ChineseMegaStore.

Ive been using Master Wu

http://www.philamfoo...CKERS-18OZ.html

love tips ( with pics  :biggrin: ) that help me navigate those shelves.

#37 christine007

christine007
  • participating member
  • 442 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

so proud of my thirteen year old son, the budding chef. he made brussell sprouts and sausage, vanilla bean ice cream for dessert.

Attached Images

• 03-02-13_170.jpg

---------------------------------------

#38 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

My 43ish son, a graduate eater, with a PhD in Brussel sprouts, would kill for that meal, preferably with mashed potatos and gravy...!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#39 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

huiray : Lovely dinners from all, both complex and simple.

@ dcarch - just wondering, how do you keep the food warm while doing all that fantastic plating (surely it takes some time) and photography (yet more time)?

Actually, If you look at my dishes, I seldom spend much time on them. I don't do anything fancy, just mostly piling the ingredients. When photographing, I always have the identical setup, a top view and a side view. I don't spend anytime in composition.

Lighting is identical in all my shots. Flip one switch, click, click, I am done.

Before I plate, the plate is in the microwave with some water, and the plate will be boiling hot for the food.

Thanks for asking.

BTW, very lovely photographed "Shui Kow" dumplings.

dcarch

If you "just pile on" the ingredients, I must say you have a gifted way with "just piling them on" - in no time flat, too, as you say!  :smile:

Thanks for the kind words about the photo of the Shui Kow & stuff. 

Edited by huiray, 02 March 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#40 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Today I participated in the first BBQPad Ultimate Rib cookoff. BBQpad is a new social website which helps people track their BBQ cooks.

elginrubribs-rack.jpg

elginrubribs.jpg

These pork spare ribs used a rub of Dijon Mustard, with Grace Habanero Hot Sauce, with Elgin BBQ Seasoning on top.

Sauce was a combination of Jack's Secret Six and COSTCO Pineapple/Habanero Salsa.

You can see all the photos and the play-by-play here. I was the first to cook this weekend, there will be a few more people cooking tomorrow, so no idea if I'm gonna win it or not.

Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#41 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Turbot scaled with mushrooms, herb jus

#42 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Liuzhou – gorgeous meatballs.

Soba – beautifully turned omelet.  And Salade Lyonnaise is a favorite of ours.  

Wapi & Shane – I’m ashamed of myself.  I bought a pasta machine right after Christmas with some giftcards and I haven’t even read the directions yet.  Gotta do it!!!

Steve – all that pork is making me swoon.  Amazing.

Norm – glad to have you back and sorry about the ankle!  I don’t know if you saw it or not, but in case you didn’t, I made your Korean chicken wings for Super Bowl and they were a huge hit.  Fantastic and thank you for posting the link to the recipe.

dcarch – love the look of those mussels.  What is in the sauce?

Patrick – the skin on that duck is astounding.  And AGAIN with the tahdig??? :wink:

(dcarch and Patrick's names should be in BOLD.  one of the MANY problems I've had since the 'upgrade' :huh: )

Some recent dinners include this:

Brats, corn and sauerkraut. 

And herbed port pot roast:

on noodles with long-cooked green beans:

Dinner tonight:

Pot roast soup and sauerkraut.

#43 rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject
  • participating member
  • 777 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

Yummy looking meals there, Kim. I've had a hankering for green beans lately, I may try them long-cooked.

rarerollingobject

pomegranate molasses, chilli, lime and walnuts

and

tahini garlic sauce

would you share the Rx?  im not a fan of walnuts but I might try it that way or use pecans. the tahini sauce looks very creamy!

rotuts, the tahini sauce is simply crushed garlic mixed with tahini and salt and thinned with lemon juice. Sometimes I add a spoonful of Greek yoghurt, but not this time. The beans, I riffed on this recipe, but skipped the raisins and orange zest. It was a winner though..will definitely make it again.

#44 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

Dinner last night:

Steamed short-cut pork spare ribs.  With Black Bean - Garlic sauce (Lee Kum Kee), finely julienned fresh ginger (a generous amount), a bit of veggie oil, chopped de-seeded hot long green chillies.

Trimmed & sliced "Kai/Gai Lan" stir-fried w/ chopped garlic, oyster sauce, Shaohsing wine, bit of light soy sauce.

White rice. (Basmati)

I use an enameled metal shallow dish for a fair number of my steamed dishes - you can see it (red-colored edging/blue rim) in the pic.  (I have two other similar enameled metal shallow dish-plates)  I think I've had this plate for something like 30 years or more.  In fact I don't seem to see this type of plate around much anymore - if at all.

DSCN7849a_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray, 03 March 2013 - 06:27 AM.

#45 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

huiray - no photos of the carved duck unfortunately! I guess it just got eaten too fast! Tasty looking short ribs btw.

Kim, rro - long-cooked green beans, hmm, I suddenly have a hankering too. What's the process? Just boil or steam them much longer than usual?

#46 Mr Holloway

Mr Holloway
  • participating member
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

So many great meals, we needed another thread

Great job everyone :smile:

Some more smoked cheese

This time around, 2yr old white cheddar,Austalian 4yr old cheddar,gouda, garlic havarti, old cheddar, and 2 blocks of Monterey jack

cheese-3.jpg

On with some cherry and apple wood

cheeseon.jpg

Foodsavered and stored in the fridge for 3 weeks or more, then ready

Shane

#47 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

thanks Kim.  next weekend (or maybe later this week), I may turn salade lyonnaise into a sandwich.  =P  pot roast -- haven't had that in years.  not since I was a teenager.

I must say, huiray, you should post more often on this thread.  your meals make me wish I cooked Asian more often (yes, picking up a Chinese cookbook is on my "to do" list soon, but first things first since I just got "Essentials" recently.)

simple can be exceedingly elegant, and your meals showcase that principle in spades.

#48 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Winter makes me crave dried Mexican chile sauces.

Ancho-marinated roasted red snapper, Oaxacan-style: Sauce of roasted garlic, cumin, cloves, Mexican oregano, cider vinegar, sugar, and a mix of ancho, guajillo, and chipotle chiles.  Garnished with sliced radish, cilantro and a sauce of the chile paste with chicken stock and sautéed onion rings.

Arroz blanco: Our usual, with white onion, garlic, and chicken stock.

Mrs. C made the unpictured salad.

p1460700408-4.jpg

#49 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

tonight:

8525102465_18e4150580_z.jpg

Insalatone d'inverno ("mixed cooked winter vegetable salad")

For those of you who have access to "Essentials", Marcella's recipe contains peppers, potatoes, beets, onion and green beans.

This is a seasonal variation that consists of stuff from USGM and Fairway -- brussels sprouts, wax beans, shallots, beets, celery, in a red wine vinaigrette (1 tablespoon red wine, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and black pepper).

You can make this all year round, depending on whatever you have on hand. The brussels sprouts and shallots were roasted, the celery and wax beans simmered in salted boiling water, and the beets cooked whole, then peeled.

8527472998_7f28e29c7c_z.jpg

Fork-smashed heirloom potatoes, from Smitten Kitchen -- http://smittenkitche...urple-potatoes/

Goes well with greens of all kinds, from beet greens to watercress, to spinach to escarole, to Swiss chard and turnip tops, to well ... you get the idea.

8527473406_87b9f06240_z.jpg

Poached farm eggs in tomato sauce, with ricotta cheese

Adapted from this Saveur recipe (btw, my version is probably 180 degrees from the original, but the principle is the same): http://www.saveur.co...in-Tomato-Sauce

The tomato sauce you see above began with a battuto (celery, celery leaves, carrot, onion, leeks, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper), which was cooked for a bit, say about 20-25 minutes:

8527473200_7c1844ecca_z.jpg

Next, I added 1 can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes and 1/2 that of water, then simmered the sauce for 30-35 minutes. Then, I added a couple of ladlefuls to a small pot and poached the eggs as directed in the linked recipe above.

I'll try the original in the future -- when I have chiles on hand.

Edited by SobaAddict70, 03 March 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#50 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

SobaAddict70, lovely meal.

I would be inclined myself to eat that nice tomato sauce w/ poached egg with some Angelhair pasta. :-)

The fork-smashed potatoes - rose fingerlings? (Rather than the purple potatoes used in the linked recipe)

Thanks for the kind words upstream.

#51 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:17 AM

Cooked appetisers for one of my food groups, the Escoffier Society.

Started with anchovy toasts with smoked tomato sorbet.

anchovy toasts.jpg

Continued with Keller Salmon Tartare Cornets (they are in an ice-cream holder so the cones continue below the wood). My recommendation is to stay away from these in humid weather; they worked well but would not have lasted much longer.

Keller cornets.jpg

Finished with quail scotch egg in crab and scallop forcemeat. The yolk ran out more than that but it was viscous as it was cooked sous vide.

Scotch Egg.jpg

Edited by nickrey, 04 March 2013 - 05:28 AM.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#52 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Made Beef Ribs ( From a Wagyu type beef herd)

I used a 3/2/1 Spice/Sugar/Salt

Smoked for 3 hrs plus 3 hrs in my electric smoker..Spritzing with veal juices.

Then into a Clay Cooker for about 2 hrs @ 425

8525545043_d55c77bc0c_h.jpg

Its good to have Morels

#53 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Dying again here, PB.  or at least ischemic.  Hard to tell the diff.

:raz:

#54 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

huiray -- no, actually they're Adirondack blue potatoes.  the potatoes were boiled whole for 25 minutes, then peeled, then coarsely chopped.  apparently they needed a bit more cooking so I simmered them for 10 more minutes before smashing them.  the color is a soft blue-purple.  look at my avatar at left but imagine it more "violet" if that makes any sense.  I think adding some acidity affected the hue a little bit.

Frog Princesse -- you may be interested to know that part of tonight's dinner will involve the beet vinegar from a couple of pages back.

more later.

Edited by SobaAddict70, 04 March 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#55 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Frog Princesse -- you may be interested to know that part of tonight's dinner will involve the beet vinegar from a couple of pages back.

more later.

Cool! Can't wait to see what you are going to come up with.

#56 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Not Fried Rice:

Fuzzy Rice Cooker Tilda Basmati rice w  Chinese Sausage  ( thinly sliced and added to the rice

cooker 1/2 way through its cycle )

Bok Choy, Scrambled eggs, Bean Sprouts, Green Onions, a tiny bit of those green Thai Birds thinly

sliced.  Seasoned with a tiny bit

of oyster sauce for a bit of saltiness ( this made the dish ).

I was surprised how easy this was and how good it was.

NotFriedRice.jpg

#57 The J

The J
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Tonight's dinner: Jicama and Tofu Chili.  I topped it with some avocado and had a chunk of sourdough to wipe up the sauce.

Jicama and tofu chili.jpg

#58 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Chicken, lemongrass, and potato curry: Fried paste of lemongrass, ginger, and onions, flavored with curry powder, black pepper, and chile flakes, and then simmered in coconut milk and chicken stock. Served with store-bought ciabatta bread and an unpictured salad.

p1462656960-4.jpg

#59 Antwaan Randle Kay

Antwaan Randle Kay
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

1pLuqtx.jpg

Roast pigeon, potato-onion "croustifondant", offal jus

#60 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Salmon fillet sandwiched between a bed of lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, lime slices, cilantro, green onion, ginger, Thai chili, olive oil, salt, fresh ground black pepper. I didn't have any banana leaves, so this was wrapped in foil and baked in a 375F oven for 35 minutes.

Sides were steamed carrot with green cardamon and green beans steamed with fresh ginger.

lemongrass salmon 9384.jpg

Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com