Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

LEM Meat grinders

Charcuterie

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chez56

Chez56
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Has anyone used the LEM Meat grinders? I have been using the attachment on my Hobart mixer 20QT, but it does not quite do the job as weel as I would like. IE: clogging of some of the holes, not uniform grind etc. I'm not sure if this is due to sloppy tolerances of the die plates and blade or not. I always chill the grinder and make sure the meat is cold usually start off on a 3/4 die and go down to a 3/16. I'm curious if the commercial grinders are any better with this? I have been looking at the LEM 780 3/4 hp unit.

#2 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

LEM grinders work very well.
Is the attachment for the Hobart 20 qt. mixer a Hobart brand attachment?
If it is, they usually work without trouble.
Are you cutting the meat into small cubes?
I use matched pairs of plates and knives so that the two will naturally lap together for a perfect fit.

~Martin

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Charcuterie