• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jai Yun

Caitlin

Has anyone been to Jai Yun, a Chinese restaurant on Pacific Ave. in SF? It's on my list of places to try because I've read a lot of rave reviews about it, but I've also read some reports suggesting it's gone down hill, is overrated, and/or is way overpriced. It's a many-course, prix-fixe meal, ranging in price from $35-$180 per person. It doesn't look like anyone on egullet has posted on it in the past few years, but I'm wondering if anyone has been recently and has any thoughts...

• 1 month later...
Has anyone been to Jai Yun, a Chinese restaurant on Pacific Ave. in SF? It's on my list of places to try because I've read a lot of rave reviews about it, but I've also read some reports suggesting it's gone down hill, is overrated, and/or is way overpriced. It's a many-course, prix-fixe meal, ranging in price from $35-$180 per person. It doesn't look like anyone on egullet has posted on it in the past few years, but I'm wondering if anyone has been recently and has any thoughts...

We went several months ago, and I had the same concerns as you. However, not having been there "back when", it was plenty amazing for us. A group of 7 of us did the $65 tasting menu (the 3rd-from-the-bottom choice), and had probably 12 dishes -- half cold, half hot.

The food wasn't all great tasting, but it was all really interesting, and some was wonderful (much as with most tasting menus).

A friend of ours went back a few weeks later with a different group, and Mario Batalli was dining that night.

Hope that helps! Susan