• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spider Steaks or la fausse-araignée

tim

Hi,

Spider steaks are available in France and Great Britain but well hidden in the USA. Are there any sources in New York City or surrounding states?

Failing that, are there any processors who break down whole hind quarters? It is easy to obtain the spider if you have access to that whole hind quarter.

Tim

Spider Steak. Scroll down to the post # ending 841.

This is a beef hind quarter with all of the fat peeled off. That bump above the hip joint and ahead of the hind leg shows a small circle, about the size of your hand. That is the SPIDER STEAK. It is about one inch thick and weighs 4 to 6 ounces. It is composed of irregular muscles and lots of fat sinnews which become very tender when cooked.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Tim, thanks for starting the topic. Great screen capture.

What's a spider steak?

I recently asked this question on another forum. Here's the answer I got.

Batard,

The French name for the cut is la fausse-araignée and there have been articles written in the NY Times by Tony Bourdain and Eric Asimov discussing this cut.

The muscle which works the coccygeus or tail of the bovine.  I think this name is M. Soleus (not sure what M. means) and is clearly identified on the New Zealand Meat Specifications Guide as muscle 80 and on the hindquarter outside view #1300 as M. Soleus.

There is also a United Nations glossary which identifies the muscle as the obturatorius externus.

And finally, another site describes the Araignee Beef Cut as "A muscle in an ox that lines the socket of the hock bone. The membrane which covers it is streaked with veins reminiscent of a spider’s web. A highly prized delicacy which is rarely for sale. Best eaten grilled."

This lovely single-portion cut usually ends up as hamburger in the USA. I am also looking for a NYC source for Araignee, as as well as la poire. The French Butcher or Les Halles Market might be good places to start.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson