• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'The Story of Chocolate' @ Science World

Sam Salmon

The fact that Purdy's is the title sponsor has prevented me from going. Maybe if it were sponsored by Valhrona?

Still, I'd like to hear any feedback from anybody who has seen the exhibit.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

My sister went when she was visiting us last month. She said it was very "child-orientated and boring". She also felt that the chocolate sample given at the end was too small. A co-worker of mine said that her roommate went and came back with, "well that's $16 I'll never get back." Doesn't sound too promising, does it?

A co-worker of mine said that her roommate went and came back with, "well that's $16 I'll never get back."  Doesn't sound too promising, does it?

Not at all encouraging...

Well I can always take $16 and buy an overdose somewhere..... :laugh:

^ That's horrible news. Here we are again with something that could have been a great concept and a way to really open people's eyes to the world of chocolate and it's completely fallen on it's face. Maybe there's hope that some children will find their love for chocolate there and go on to do more research and become chocolate aficionados.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Let's not get all bent out of shape here ... this is "Science World" after all, and not "Foodie World." It's aimed at kids, and even my sons (aged 16 & 13) found it dummed down. Expecting anything more from the Telusphere is a bit ambitious.

Although "Body Works" was uber-cool ....

A.

I did a wine and chocolate tasting for a group last night and several said that the event was "child" oriented.

SB

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I take my toddler to Thomas Haas instead. He knows Thomas now as the man who makes chocolate. A visit to Thomas' shop is a great way to wrap up a north shore visit, some hot chocolate and a chocolate lollipop to take home are better ways to spend $16 if you ask me!

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

Let's not get all bent out of shape here ... this is "Science World" after all, and not "Foodie World." 

exactly! There are a lot of people who would not go to a food-centric exhibit, but who are quite comfortable exploring food in the context of a tourist-mecca science exhibit.

btw, Purdy's chocolate is Callebaut

Karen Dar Woon

• 2 weeks later...

I've been there three times ... only because we have a family membership and not because we went there specifically for the "story of chocolate". :smile:

If you go when it's slow then it's kinda neat, in a Science World kinda way ... but it's for kids mainly ... you're not going to see something that's going to get a foodie excited.

My kids saw it the first time, rolled their eyes, and then ran to the bug section.

I do have to say though, if you have kids a family membership is the way to go if you use it a couple of times.