• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heart Attack Grill

Toliver

"Heart Attack Grill welcomes gluttons with deadly, fat-filled fare"

Aside from maintaining a website, Jon Basso hasn't spent one dollar on advertising. And yet his restaurant has garnered international attention thanks to the controversy he's created. "We purposely try to generate controversy, there's no question about that," Basso says. After all, with menu items like the Quadruple Bypass Burger and Flatliner Fries, who needs marketing?

Yet even Basso, owner of Heart Attack Grill in Tempe, Ariz., agrees with his health-inclined critics on one point: Because of his 8,000-calorie burgers and french fries cooked in lard, the 40-stool burger joint isn't a place customers should frequent daily. "I tell everybody, 'Don't come here every day of the week; it'll kill you,'" he says.

This entrepreneur refuses to give in to the diet wars. In fact, he won't even allow lettuce on the grill's burgers. And if you ask for a Diet Coke, you won't get it. Basso says the grill only sells full-sugared soda from Mexico. Why? "Because if you're going to party, enjoy yourself. That's really the message."

Has anyone taken one for the team and eaten there?

And isn't it interesting that the "controversy" over the diner has nothing to do with the fat-filled food but with the wait staff gimmick (trying to compete with Hooters, etc)?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'd go without hesitation. Looks like fun to me. Their single burger is no different than any other place that has 1/2 lb burgers. Fuddruckers is a prime example of a chain that has up to 1 lb burgers and nobody's complaining about them. Cracks me up how their dealing with the nurses association. I want a t-shirt.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

This place has popped up in the media a few times. I always get a chuckle out of the people who are so offended (nurses health nuts, etc.)

The guy's probably laughing all the way to the bank. Good for him!

http://www.heartattackgrill.com/

Way more clever than Hooters. It's just the latest take on a time honored way to market to young males. Big cheeseburgers, beer, and good looking waitresses, rocket science, it's not.