• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thinking of taking a class

FWED

I am thinking of taking a series of classes this summer from French chef Stephane Glacier and Swiss chef Stephan Itan. The series is for professionals and is built around a Chocolate Buffet. Is anyone here familiar with these chefs and their work. The series is not inexpensive and I want to make sure that its what I want before I commit to it. The classes are a total of five days and are sponsored by the World Pastry Forum. Thanks.

Edited by FWED (log)

Fred Rowe

I am thinking of taking a series of classes this summer from French chef Stephane Glacier and Swiss chef Stephan Itan.  The series is for professionals and is built around a Chocolate Buffet.  Is anyone here familiar with these chefs and their work.  The series is not inexpensive and I want to make sure that its what I want before I commit to it.  Thanks.

FWED, I've definitely heard of Stephane Glacier but not Stephan Itan (what's with all the Stephans and Sebastiens in pastry anyway?!). Where is the class taking place and who is it sponsored by? Is there a website that might give more information? This will help us to give you more information if we have it.

It looks like Stephane Glacier teaches several of the 'continuing education' courses at the French Pastry School in Chicago.

nightscotsman attended school there and I really feel that he got a great education. I (and a couple of other eG-ers) are attending a chocolate class at FPS in a week. We'll ask some questions there and maybe be of better help to you.

I was lucky enough to assist Chef Glacier for a class he taught while I was interning. I got a great deal out of the class even though I was not an actual participant, and found the Chef was terrific about answering my questions, and those of the students in the class.

This particular class was on sugar work, but he went into discussions on other aspects of pastry work - confectionary, entremets, etc - and I found his suggestions useful enough that I bought one of his books.

My question for you is this - if the five day classes are like they were when I went to the forum, they will take up much of your time there. Are there many other demos during the forum that you would like to see? Or are you willing to mostly focus on the class? Because if you are, I would say go for it - I can say Chef Glacier is great - but if you want to get a little more of everything at the forum, you may want to research a bit more before putting your money down.

--adoxograph

i too, took a look at the demo list, and it looks like you might get more out of the hands-off demos than the hands-on demos. i just feel like the more people you come in contact with, the better off you are. especially since you attended last year as well.

i'd love to go...just have to invest in more lottery tickets :hmmm:

• 6 months later...