• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Fried Chicken

balomi

I've heard that Vancouver has a KFC place called Cco Cco. I'd like to try some but am not able to find any locally so plan on going there next trip to YVR.

The best description that I found of KFC is from a blogger in Korea:

http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal/?p=123

Has anyone tried Cco Cco? Is it a respectable representation of any of the styles described?

I haven't tried CCo CCo, but there is a take-out Korean Fried Chicken Place that is located in Hmart on Robson & Seymour. I usually drop by the food alcove there to get the spicy beef soup, but i'll try the spicy fried chicken next time there and let you know how it is...

Here's a picture of their sign

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roland/122785668

:biggrin:

Note, it's located in their food court.

Edited by HungryDog (log)

I mentioned the Vancouver location of Cco Cco chicken in this post. i tried it a long time ago, it was ok. i like the korean fried chicken at H Mart better (i've only tried the chicken at their Coquitlam location...pretty far from downtown to say the least). H Mart is also known as Han Ah Reum. Korean fried chicken drenched with spicy sauce is also available in korean restaurants around the city....can't remember specifically where, but it's certainly not a dish that you can only get at H Mart or Cco Cco.

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

I've had it at Hanwoori (Kingsway & Imperial) and Insadong (Lougheed and North Rd) - both are very good Korean restaurants and both do a version of deep fried chicken wings with the sweet spicy sauce. I'm a little partial to the ones at Insadong, but Hanwoori, overall, has better food.

But I agree with Hungry Dog - and try a them at the H-Mart downtown and see if you like them. Icy cold beer improves the experience exponentially. In Korea - there are places called "Hof's" that serve these kinds of food with cold cold beers. Apparently the name comes from "Hof Brau" As in German beer halls - but this is a theory only...

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I've heard that Vancouver has a KFC place called Cco Cco.  I'd like to try some but am not able to find any locally so plan on going there next trip to YVR. 

The best description that I found of KFC is from a blogger in Korea:

http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal/?p=123

Has anyone tried Cco Cco?  Is it a respectable representation of any of the styles described?

hi balomi--

i have not tried the place you mention, but this blog entry links to an article in New York Times that describes the phenomenon of Korean fried chicken in delicious detail... :wub:

edit to add, here is the direct link:

direct link to NY Times, clicky...

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I haven't tried CCo CCo, but there is a take-out Korean Fried Chicken Place that is located in Hmart on Robson & Seymour.  I usually drop by the food alcove there to get the spicy beef soup, but i'll try the spicy fried chicken next time there and let you know how it is...

Here's a picture of their sign

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roland/122785668

:biggrin:

Note, it's located in their food court.

Last night as we were passing H-mart I thought of this post and went in for a whole fried chicken. The batter reminded me more of tempura puffy coating and it didn't have much seasoning. The chicken pieces were also mostly de-boned so I'm not sure what portions of the bird we were eating as they all looked the same except for the light and dark meat. This didn't particularly strike me as good, I think my favorite is still LA Chicken. Last Sunday when passing Renfrew on Broadway I did see a place that has a huge sign advertising Fried Chicken and Donuts, anyone been?

Last night as we were passing H-mart I thought of this post and went in for a whole fried chicken.  The batter reminded me more of tempura puffy coating and it didn't have much seasoning.  The chicken pieces were also mostly de-boned so I'm not sure what portions of the bird we were eating as they all looked the same except for the light and dark meat.  This didn't particularly strike me as good, I think my favorite is still LA Chicken.

looks like u didn't the version with sweet spicy sauce. i would never order korean fried chicken without it!

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Last night as we were passing H-mart I thought of this post and went in for a whole fried chicken.  The batter reminded me more of tempura puffy coating and it didn't have much seasoning.  The chicken pieces were also mostly de-boned so I'm not sure what portions of the bird we were eating as they all looked the same except for the light and dark meat.  This didn't particularly strike me as good, I think my favorite is still LA Chicken.

looks like u didn't the version with sweet spicy sauce. i would never order korean fried chicken without it!

Your right, I had the version that was just fried ... the one with the sauce made the crispy skin look mushy which I'm not too fond of. I'll try it next time though. I had something similar at Jang Mo Jib once where they served the fried chicken in a tandori cooked in the sauce, while decent the shear amount of sauce on the chicken was over the top at least for my tastes. Maybe thats why I think the Spicy Chicken at LA is so good, the spices are in the breading so you taste everything and not just a mouthfull of sauce.

yah, i dunno how it works but the saucy fried chicken stays somewhat crispy even with the sauce.... :laugh: uhhhhhhh getting hungry!