• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ruth Reichl speaking at Princeton University

AlexisM

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share this with the board. I'm not sure if it goes in this forum, so moderators please put it where it belongs. :biggrin:

This event is free and open to the public (I assume) - I just saw a flier for it on campus and I'm planning on being there with my latest copy of Gourmet. I hope I can get it autographed. (I feel like such a fangirl right now)

Here are the particulars:

Reichl to speak on food's role in history, March 6

Posted February 28, 2007; 05:15 p.m.

Noted restaurant critic and author Ruth Reichl will present a talk titled "Watch What You Eat" at 8 p.m. Tuesday, March 6, in McCosh 50.

Reichl's talk will survey the role of food throughout history, what it has looked like, how it has been marketed and what its appearance tells us about society and human nature.

Reichl is the editor-in-chief of Gourmet magazine and a former restaurant critic for The New York Times. Her best-selling "culinary memoirs" include "Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table," "Comfort Me With Apples: More Adventures at the Table" and "Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise." Reichl also served as restaurant critic and food editor for the Los Angeles Times. Before turning to writing, she was a chef and co-owner of the Swallow Restaurant in Berkeley, Calif.

The talk is designated as the J. Edward Farnum lecture and is sponsored by the University Public Lecture Series. It will be simulcast in McCosh 10.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Alexis, I just found this topic. I hope you went to the lecture and got her autograph.

I was there and even got one of the free cannolis (no longer crisp :sad:). I thought the lecture was interesting and surprisingly scholarly. All in all, I thought she was just adorable, and with the dramatic appearance I'd expect of an Art History major!