• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peapod in Chicago

I recently returned to Chicago after a few years in NY, and took a look at Peapod. I had used that service quite a bit when I lived here last, and while I don't remember specifics, I am pretty sure it was a LOT cheaper than it is now. Anyone here use them these days? How's their service and quality? Is it worth paying $10 delivery fee for a $50 order? (that seems outrageous to me). Their prices on individual items doesn't look that competitive either. I haven't taken a hard look at Jewel or Dominicks, so maybe the prices aren't as bad as I think, but having just come from NY, I was surprised to find items on peapod costing MORE here than there.

I use them somewhat regularly. We have a large family, my husband has long hours, etc... so the convenience factor is a huge benefit for me. So much so that I generally close my eyes and try not to think about what I would save if I went to Dominicks myself. I try to buy the sale items as often as possible and that seems to help. Also, it is MUCH easier for me to avoid impulse buys with Peapod, so that evens things out a bit. And I rarely forget ingredients b/c I have my cookbooks/lists right beside me. But really, the time savings is what is key for me....shopping and putting away groceries used to take hours each week....now I use the time I would have spent at the store to clean out the fridge so it is ready to accept what I have ordered.

As to quality, I have found all their produce to be excellent. Leaps and bounds better than Jewel and generally a little nicer than Dominicks. I can think of only two occasions I was unhappy with something I received...moldy berries and cut flowers past their prime. Each time, I called customer service and was credited, no muss no fuss. Deliveries have always been prompt and polite, too. They oftentimes have $2 off delivery coupons, as well (though that may be for orders over $100, I can't recall specifically). Again, I am the kind of customer they love, b/c I'd still use them even without the coupon! Using them gives me hours back each week and helps me keep the household better organized.

Since starting this thread I've found a myriad of promo codes and coupons that largely subsidize the delivery fee. A simple google search will bring them to you.

And my first delivery from them this morning went ok. Didn't order any produce, and a box of cheerios is a box of cheerios, but everything arrived intact. Only thing I didn't like is that they arrived ten minutes after my delivery window ended, but no big deal.

All in all, the convenience definitely was worth it (with the coupon that is!)

To Perge, or anyone else who uses them - how much do you tip? I gave $6 on a $105 order and the guy looked like he'd be ready to give me his firstborn child. Too much? If anything I thought I was being a little cheap!

Yikes...now I feel cheap! My orders are usually in the $175 range and I generally give them $5 unless the weather is really bad or something. I look at it less like tipping on service in a restaurant (i.e. as a % of sale) and more like getting a furniture delivery, where I'd just give $10 or $20 to each guy. When I get big grocery deliveries just before Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter, I usually give $20. Most of the Peapod guys have the reaction you describe--they are genuinely surprised to get any tip. Sometimes I wonder if it's a midwestern thing--on multiple occasions, I've had repairmen/deliverymen refuse a tip. Odd to me, since I'm from NY....where no tip has been turned down, ever, as far as I know!!

Anyway, if I tipped, say 10% on the order, I'd worry less about being cheap but I don't think I could justify using them anymore! Between the delivery fee and their higher cost, I guess I'd be surprised if any regular person could do that. Of course now I feel guilty, like I've publicly outed myself as a cheapskate!!!

• 2 months later...

By way of an update, I have my first real complaint about Peapod. I realized at 8:15 tonight (15min after the order "deadline") that I had not completed an order I arranged for tomorrow, and had only $52 worth of items. So, for the first time in 2 years, I called to cancel the order. They were going to charge a $50 restocking fee!!! I argued with them for a few minutes and as a 'courtesy' they dropped the fee....but I thought it worth warning anyone else who might use them.

The email generated when the order is complete, by the way, says that "If you cancel your order or if no one is available to accept your delivery, you may be charged a fee." It appears that Peapod interprets that as you "will" be charged an "exorbitant" fee.