• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do I order foie gras in Chicago

sapient

I'm hitting a spot in Chicago that was known for their foie gras. But since the ban I know there are code words at some places. This might be a faux pas to ask but Ima hungry!

I think the code words are, "Let's eat in the suburbs!" The ban on foie gras in Chicago has increased the availability of excellent foie gras at many more suburban restaurants. Suburban diners and suburban restauranteurs are grateful to the aldermen in the city. :biggrin:

The best foie gras dish I have eaten lately in a Chicago-area restaurant is the medallion of seared foie gras over foie gras and mushroom strudel at Michael in Winnetka, at a wonderful dinner I described in this post. I'm sure it's still available there.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Most of the better restaurants in chicago still serve foie gras. They are using the code words for you by giving it to you complimentary. Many chefs don´t care about the ban and are still serving foie. Also the city really isn´t cracking down on offenders so there really is nothing to be scared of. Hot dougs a gourmet hot dog joint got a warning letter and maybe a fine I am not sure, but he framed the letter and has it for all his customers to see. The mayor even said the ban was stupid. There is a thread going in the heartland forum as well that might offer more info.

I'm hitting a spot in Chicago that was known for their foie gras. But since the ban I know there are code words at some places. This might be a faux pas to ask but Ima hungry!

And speaking of faux pas, Tru has a menu item they refer to as "faux gras." :wink: