• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Custard apple (Anona reticulata)

PPPans

I got this comment on my blog, for the post on Anunas/Anonas:

Margaret Cardle says:

Can you get Custard Apples in Tenerife?

We tasted them in Maderia 12 years ago! They were delicious!! We are Going to Tenerife on Wednesday 7th March and would like to know before we go and what they would be called there. Please send me an e-mail! Thanks.

I told the commenter that I'm in the Philippines and wouldn't know if the fruit is available in Tenerife. However, I promised to post the question in the food fora I belong to in case someone knows.

Normally, in the Philippines, anonas (custard apples) bear fruits starting in June till around October. I don't know the fruiting seasons in other parts of the globe.

Here in CA, local Cherimoya are most available in winter (Dec-Jan).

There is a woman who comes to our farmer's market who specializes in tropical fruit. She grows them in Palmdale, and hers are the best I've had (not that I've had a lot of them).

They are quite expensive, though. To get fruit, the pollen must be saved and female flowers pollinated by hand. Whatever pollinates them elsewhere must not live here.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA