• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving to Pitt, where to eat..i mean live

sus

I am moving to Pitt to start my PhD in history this coming fall. Now, if I had to choose a neighborhood based on food options, quality, general food allure, what would it be? I am shamelessly trying to decide where to live and I always think good food=worthy neighborhood.

Thanks thanks!

Sus

Shadyside is probably the best area for somebody interested in food...great selection of restaurants of all types, easy access to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It's also very close to both Pitt and CMU, so if you are studying at one of those universities, you'll be close to class.

Shadyside is probably the best area for somebody interested in food...great selection of restaurants of all types, easy access to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It's also very close to both Pitt and CMU, so if you are studying at one of those universities, you'll be close to class.

I'll second a Shadyside location. My son lived in various places around the University of Pittsburgh when he was a student there and Shadyside was his favorite area. Mine too, for that matter! Lots of restaurants, food stores and other shopping nearby and an easy hop, skip and a jump back to the main campus. When visiting, we usually stayed at the University Club (now defunct, I think) or the Inn on the Mexican War Streets (Yes, that's a real name) but almost always paid at least one visit to a Shadyside eatery.

Probably Shadyside more due to the shopping than the restaurants - lotta flash, some sizzle, but places that make it there tend to maintain reasonably good quality. Can take or leave WF, but the LCB outlet next door is the bestest wine shopping in Western PA.

Squirrel Hill is an alternate. Good vibes, a bit more grounded foodwise. But not so good with the shopping.

Rich Westerfield

Mt. Lebanon, PA

Drinking great coffee makes you a better lover.

There is no scientific data to support this conclusion, but try to prove otherwise. Go on. Try it. Right now.

Shadyside is overrated, IMHO. My car was broken into repeatedly when I lived there and the rents were much to high for the quality of housing. I would prefer Squirrel Hill or Greenfield or maybe even Highland Park over Shadyside. I lived in Friendship for a long time and LOVED it. I was in a family-and-young-professionals neighborhood but within a fifteen minute walk to the restaurants of Bloomfield, the markets in Shadyside, and the cheap bars of Oakland. The bus ride to my job in Oakland at one of the Universities was under ten minutes as was the bus ride to the Strip on Saturdays to stock up on cheese and ethnic ingredients.

Welcome to the 'Burgh!

I spent a month at the Carson Street Apartment during a trial. Carson street is a great food street. Easy to get to and from the city. No issues with crime. It was a lovely part of the City. I would take long walks and never felt uncomfortable.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Now I really want to go and visit....and eat. The last time I went I visited two restaurants near UPitt, a mexican one in a slightly shady neighborhood...good but not wonderful and sushi at a sushi place near the school too. The sushi was awful, awful. So I guess I don't have good impressions of eating at Pitt. Will try places when I go visit to get an apt. Mel, I have heard of the other neighborhoods but never Greenfield...what's the scoop on that one? Thanks!

Sus

Greenfield is past Sq. Hill. Foodwise, it's absolutely nowhere. But very cheap and reasonable for housing.

Hell, if you want food, live in Bloomfield (Little tiny Italy) and go to the strip. Or live in the strip!

Now I really want to go and visit....and eat.  The last time I went I visited two restaurants near UPitt, a mexican one in a slightly shady neighborhood...good but not wonderful and sushi at a sushi place near the school too.  The sushi was awful, awful.  So I guess I don't have good impressions of eating at Pitt.  Will try places when I go visit to get an apt.  Mel, I have heard of the other neighborhoods but never Greenfield...what's the scoop on that one?  Thanks!

Sus

I'll check all these out. Little Italy sounds awesome. Yum Yum good mozarella buffala and such sorts of places? I am all about living in little italy, polish or jewish corners for some reason they appeal to me.

Sus

• 4 weeks later...
I'll check all these out.  Little Italy sounds awesome.  Yum Yum good mozarella buffala and such sorts of places?  I am all about living in little italy, polish or jewish corners for some reason they appeal to me.

Sus

Well, you can get some of these things in Bloomfield, but the strip is the real source for most things food in the 'burgh.

If you want jewish, then Squirrel Hill is where you want to be.

But don't think you'll find decent bagels anywhere.

If you want jewish, then Squirrel Hill is where you want to be.  But don't think you'll find decent bagels anywhere.

Seek out a shop that sells Mediterra Bakehouse bagels. Nick uses a water-bagel recipes/production style. They're not exactly up there with the best of NYC, but they're close, especially when you can get them warm.

We sell them retail, but you can get them - and a ton of great breads - at their shop off of Parkway West.

Rich Westerfield

Mt. Lebanon, PA

There is no scientific data to support this conclusion, but try to prove otherwise. Go on. Try it. Right now.

If you want jewish, then Squirrel Hill is where you want to be.  But don't think you'll find decent bagels anywhere.

Seek out a shop that sells Mediterra Bakehouse bagels. Nick uses a water-bagel recipes/production style. They're not exactly up there with the best of NYC, but they're close, especially when you can get them warm.

We sell them retail, but you can get them - and a ton of great breads - at their shop off of Parkway West.

Well, according to the website, Ruggieri's in Sq. Hill sells Mediterra bread. So that's a possiblity. If only Allegro Bakery would get into the act, we'd be all set.

Well, according to the website, Ruggieri's in Sq. Hill sells Mediterra bread.  So that's a possiblity.  If only Allegro Bakery would get into the act, we'd be all set.

Allegro's owner paid us a visit one day last fall toting a bagful of wonderful breads. Much as we love Mediterra, this guy's willingness to try and get our business coupled with the quality of his breads were very impressive. We were having a great discussion and I asked him about bagels and ciabattina. They did neither. Unfortunately that's 90% of what we use here. We were actually sad that we couldn't do business. Such a nice guy and great product - wish him very well. You're lucky to have Allegro up there.

Rich Westerfield

Mt. Lebanon, PA