• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why peel beets after they have been cooked?

VivreManger

It is fairly standard to peel beets after they have been roasted or boiled, but I find it better to clean and peel them before. I wonder why some do otherwise.

The first problem with peeling them after is that it means the cooking juices have to be discarded since they are usually made gritty by the residual dirt in the peel.

The second problem is that when one flavors roasting beets - - I often roast them with a bit of maple syrup - - peeling them afterwards, even when they have been carefully scrubbed, but not peeled, to remove all grit and sand, a tedious and I submit ineffective task, removes a layer of the flavor.

Is there some reason for delaying the peeling?

To be sure, it may be easier after cooking, since a strong blast of water from the tap will remove much of the peel, but if there is the only reason, it makes little sense.

Edited by VivreManger (log)

it depends on what I am doing with them ...I do not peel raw beets very neatly so if I want them to look perfect as in pickled beets or something like that I peel them after cooking because the skins slide off and they look perfect ..if I am going to slice them up and need the juice or want to roast them and have flavors permiate the beet and visa versa I peel first ...it is asthetic to me ...

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I was always told by my grandmother that it just made them easier to peel - fine when making her beetroot/horseradish pickle (the beets were simply boiled first before being grated), but I agree not so fine when you've flavored the beets first.

I've never had a problem peeling them beforehand - it IS easier after they've cooked, but it's no big deal. I say, peel away whenever it suits you best!

Definately faster to peel after they cook. I used/use a lot of baby beets, and I can't imagine peeling those by hand before.

Also, I think that the skin's allow the beet to retain a little more of it's natural "beetness" and, to me, they taste a little sweeter and more like a beet. Same with a potato. I never boil a potato without the skin on, cause I think that the potato becomes too water logged and tastes less like a potato.

So I think that the combination of ease of prep and flavor definately make me a post-roast-peel fan.

sometimes during roasting, the outermost layer of the beet dries/shrivels unattractively. this might even leave one with an outer layer that texturally isn't pleasant to eat. leaving the skin on avoids that. i find that flavoring (particularly salt) permeates the skin during roasting. i tend to roast beets for use in salads which will be dressed after peeling, cutting, etc., so i don't worry too much about flavoring the beets during the roasting process (aside from salt).

Ah, I get it. You cook it in the syrup. Didn't realize that. You could always make a seperate glaze out of the maple syrup to toss them in after you roast and peel. I don't really know how much beet "juice" you get when you cook them...I tend to think that the liquid should stay w/in the beet and not leech out during cooking.

You should try it sometime...roast them whole, skin on (washed of course), then peel and toss in maple syrup and glazed. You might find it works out better.

Also, I would not reccomend rinsing the roasted beets under water to help peel.

Cook a beet with the skin on and the skin off by the same method and you'll quickly find out why you should leave the skin on whilst cooking. Very simple test.

Agreed :-) One will give you a beautiful purple/pink vegetable, the other a pot full of purple/pink water and a pale/white lump in the pot.

Not when you roast them.

And even boiled the color remains.

I have never gotten a pale/white vegetable. When peeled in advanced, I usually reserve the cooking liquid for couscous, which produces a brilliant purple red color in the grain, quite spectacular.

Other grains I cook in turmeric or saffron water. Once cooked I combine the two together to create a brilliant combination of colors.

Not when you roast them. 

And even boiled the color remains. 

I have never gotten a pale/white vegetable.  When peeled in advanced, I usually reserve the cooking liquid for couscous, which produces a brilliant purple red color in the grain, quite spectacular. 

Other grains I cook in turmeric or saffron water.  Once cooked I combine the two together to create a brilliant combination of colors.

Sorry I meant when boiling them, roasting they are great either way.

However having said that, I never boil them, I feel they are best when roasted (whether its in a salad, accompanying a dish, or pureed with thick creamy yoghurt for a dip).