• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gramercy Tavern-esque in DC

MJP

My girlfriend and I will be in DC for our anniversary next weekend. Does anyone know if a good recommendation for a really unique experience? I'm talking Gramercy Tavern-esque in terms of service, food, etc. Really, what I'm looking for is something above the normal, a dress decent but no jacket required place. Type of food is way open; we're all over the place and like anything, more or less. I'd prefer something that can't be found anywhere else (and would be able to take a reservation for this weekend).

Any thoughts?

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Those are three great suggestions (although you're unlikely to get a table at Komi at this late date - it's muy popular). Corduroy is light on atmosphere in my opinion, but really tops in terms of food and service.

I would add Central, new from Michel Richard. You can book via opentable.com or call and speak to a human. :smile:

Thanks for the responses; right now it looks like Corduroy. Central is all booked up every day we'll be in DC. O_O

Palena is jacket and tie... I'll pass. Jacket is OK, but I don't wear a tie to work and I won't wear one to eat, no matter how good the food is. This neck will run wild and free! :-P

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

1) Blue duck tavern: new, great chef, wonderful menu, some new age style cooking.

2) obelisk: great Italian pre-fix-hard to get into due to limited seating (other Italian to note: Galaleo and Oesteria Goldoni-both have top notch chef tables)

3) New Heights or butterfield 9 (same owners)-I really like NH but chef has changed since I lived in DC

4) CityZen (at Mandarin Oriental)-What a room, power oozes but food is steller

5) Mini-bar-you will never get in (six seats reserved one month ion advance) but this is the best in DC

Thanks for the responses; right now it looks like Corduroy.  Central is all booked up every day we'll be in DC.  O_O

Palena is jacket and tie... I'll pass.  Jacket is OK, but I don't wear a tie to work and I won't wear one to eat, no matter how good the food is.  This neck will run wild and free!  :-P

I've eaten at Palena many, many times and I've only worn a tie once. There is no requirement to do so, and in fact, we've eaten there with folks who wore Hawaiian shirts. :biggrin: I can only think of a couple of restaurants in DC that require jacket and tie. This is a fairly business casual dining type of town.

You might also try CityZen (though it will be a tough reservation to get this late), Taberna del Alabardero (Spanish and excellent) or Marcel's.